Consortium of Pubgoing, Loose and Forward Women

Love it.

In response to attacks by the right-wing group Sri Ram Sena on Indian women out in public, the Pink Chaddi Campaign is organizing women around India (and around the globe) to send the Sri Ram Sena their chaddis (underwear). Mail your panties to:

Pramod Muthali, Sri Rama Sene Office # 11, Behind new bus stand, Gokhul road, Lakshmi park, Hubli – Karnataka

And on Valentine’s Day, February 14th, women around the world will show solidarity with women in India by going out to a pub and raising a glass to the Sri Ram Sena.

I’ll be toasting, and so should you. Be sure to take a picture and send it to the Pink Chaddi Campaign.

You can also join their facebook group here.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Feminism, Gender and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Consortium of Pubgoing, Loose and Forward Women

1. HeadSandn!&@aInCharge says:

Pink Chaddi! HAH! Loves it… for some bizarre reason I keep saying that to myself in an Amitabh accent and laughing uncontrollably. Are there any other brownz who also laughed hysterically at the name (tell me im not crazy)?

I wonder if they’ll take white chaddis that have been bled pink in the washer…

2. AshKW says:

I might have to go out and buy a pair of pink ones, since I don’t wear pink.;)

3. Llelwyn says:

“…going out to a pub and raising a glass to the Sri Ram Sena.”

Checking through on the link, it says to raise a glass to Indian women, not the extremist group. While I don’t think I have time to send a pair of pink chaddis to India by Vday, I will certainly drink to the women there.

Also, “chaddis” is a great word for underwear, and I’m certain that it should be incorporated into the name of a rock band, if it is not already.

4. Jill says:

I got the toast info from the FB group:

“Join Us on February 14, Valentine’s Day, the day in which Indian women’s virginity and honour will self-destruct unless they marry or tie a rakhi. Walk to the nearest pub and buy a drink. Raise a toast to the Sri Ram Sena.”

But it doesn’t really matter. Toast whoever you want :-)

5. Llelwyn says:

Well then! No reason I can’t toat them both. =D

6. Jill says:

That’s the spirit!

7. Thanks for posting this Jill! Can you include some of the links I sent you to the media coverage that this has generated? Or shall I link them here? I think it’s really important to point out that this is a part of an ongoing conversation about (framed in conservative terms) traditionalism vs. colonialism in India. Framed in progressive terms, women and men are struggling to redefine their own culture, and it is causing quite a stir.

8. Here is the most recent news, from Nisha Susan herself, at the Guardian.

9. Pingback: Revolutionary underwear « dimensión mazmorra

10. nemogbr says:

Consortium of Pub-going, Loose and Forward Women’s Support group

The main group was cracked and the Facebook Admin Team deleted the group along with 58,000 members. It seems they preferred the easiest solution?

Our founder, Nisha Susan, MSN-India’s International Women’s Day Idol, had her account suspended.

Our boards, links, and wall were removed, our admin system was replaced with random people, and our news section and name repeatedly defaced and vandalised.

If a Human Rights group with over 58,000 members cannot get any clear or decisive action from the Facebook team, who can?

Our requests to the Facebook Admin team about this matter received no more attention than a form letter telling us to read the help files.

If it was Hilary Clinton’s Facebook Group, something may have been done.

We attempted to get it back, but since this is a Women’s Rights group in India, no one took notice. This is a travesty and we will carry on.

Peace to you all.