Some Culture War

One of the more infuriating aspects of conservative punditry is that conservatives freely accuse liberals of “waging a culture war” for pointing out sexism, racism, ageism, and the like, and how it unevens the playing ground. Take, for example, this clip from O’Reilly (I know, I’m sorry), exemplifying the sad state of political punditry:

The worst part is that you can apparently put down a woman publicly, without consequence, even a woman as accomplished as Helen Thomas, without really having an argument against her.

But hey, they sent her flowers afterward so it’s all good.

More at Sociological Images.

This entry was posted in Feminism, Politics and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Some Culture War

1. ok so there is a huge difference between insulting the politics/beliefs of someone (Palin being a racist) and calling someone a witch…. However the oreo cookie incident he speaks of doesn’t sound so good…..

2. MandyV says:

I do have to say that there are some conservative pundits (George Will, for example) that although I disagree with, I do think they have interesting, well-thought-out opinions a lot of the time. Bill O’Reilly is certainly not the only pundit out there, and may well be one of the more extreme examples. His show is just a shtick anyhow. When you see him on The Daily Show or other places being interviewed, he’s much less venomous than on the O’Reilly Factor.

3. catfood says:

“A man needs a humorless feminist like a fish needs a bicycle.” Geez, that’s all I needed to hear. Because when the subject is sexist attacks on women, my first and last question is what do men need.

4. catfood says:

Goldberg: “They’re humorless.”

No, that’s not it. What you’re saying and doing isn’t funny. It’s not even the “nuh-uh, you did-ent!” line-crossing kind of not-funny. It’s just… not even a little bit clever. Or witty.

The way these two guys talked to and about Helen Thomas was simply mean and obnoxious. You might even say humorless.

5. Mandy, there is also something to be said for the fact that G. Will is respectful in conversation, and dignified even with people he radically disagrees with. He doesn’t smirk and mug for the camera, but appears to be actually LISTENING.

I dunno which is worse in that clip, Goldberg’s nastiness or that fucking self-satisfied smirk of O’Reilly’s.

6. evil_fizz says:

However the oreo cookie incident he speaks of doesn’t sound so good…..

Yeah, that’s because Goldberg is making it up.

7. MikeF says:

Goldberg: “They’re humorless.”

That’s incredibly rich coming from a guy who just told “jokes” as awful as the feminist/fish/bicycle and Helen Thomas/Lincoln administration ones. I do not think Bernie Goldberg would recognize humor if it came up to him, politely shook his hand and introduced itself.

8. Humorless?! Moi?! He obviously hasn’t read my blog, or this one, or Feministing, or Pandagon, or any other feminist media outlet.

9. whatsername says:

I like how we’re both humorless and unserious at the same time. :P

How adorable that he appropriated a feminist saying for the segment too.

10. MandyV says:

Daisy- Absolutely.

11. jasmine says:

“A man needs a humorless feminist like a fish needs a bicycle.”

Hijacking a famous quote by a well known feminist to to make a cheap shot?…real frickin original Bernie. To you i may be humorless, but at least my material is original and actually funny

12. Pingback: Being Amber Rhea » Blog Archive » links for 2009-02-18