Barack Obama did not actually write the stimulus bill. But I don’t think that I’m at all incorrect in asserting that it is the general public perception that he did. I didn’t even know for sure until I looked it up, and I read quite a fair amount of news. And regardless of who the actual author was, the bill was promoted as the president’s package.
Which means that we’ve got our first African American president being portrayed here as a monkey. A dead monkey being shot by police in a country where deadly police shootings of black men are not at all uncommon. In a world where death threats against the president are not at all uncommon, and where death threats against this president in particular have caused special reason for worry. And regardless of who specifically the cartoon is supposed to be portraying (since I’m sure that a disingenuous “it wasn’t supposed to be Obama!” will be the defense) — since when is it okay to promote the murder of any government official?
Racism does not surprise me, anymore. But this has me flabbergasted.
It is the New York Post, so I doubt that it will do much good. But nevertheless, their contact information is here.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Good news about women and the stimulus package by Jill January 29, 2009
- Friday Random Ten – the Inauguration Edition by Jill January 16, 2009
- Obama Signs the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act by Cara January 29, 2009
- Larry Summers for Treasury Secretary? by Jill November 7, 2008
- Smarter Better Faster Stronger by Holly January 21, 2009