President Obama is set to speak at Notre Dame on May 17th, and some folks aren’t too happy about it. Why? Because he’s pro-choice, and giving him a platform would violate the rules laid out in Catholics in Political Life. The pertinent guideline reads, “The Catholic community and Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.”
Interestingly, George W. Bush spoke at Notre Dame’s 2001 commencement. Pretty sure that he’s in favor of the death penalty, and that under his leadership in Texas a whole lot of people were executed.
I guess those “fundamental moral” pro-life principles don’t apply to people after they’re born.
- Women in Iraq and Elsewhere by Lauren August 24, 2005
- Bush’s Last Minute Regulations: They Go Beyond Abortion and Birth Control by Cara December 19, 2008
- Pro-Life Politicians: Every fetus is an incredibly valuable human life with rights that trump all others. Until it’s born. Then the little bastard’s on its own. by Jill July 20, 2007
- In Case You Needed Another Reason to Dislike John McCain by Jill April 9, 2006
- Why care about actual babies when dolls are so much cuter? by Jill May 15, 2009