The casual use of the word “retarded” just sets my teeth on edge. I can’t tell you the number of self-described liberals/progressives I hear use it. I’ve actually thrown down with more than one friend – again, people who work in progressive nonprofits, in civil rights, in advocacy – over its use, and been told it’s not a big deal, it’s not an insult to people with disabilities, or I’m just being too sensitive.
So I’m more than happy to pass this along. Special Olympics has launched a campaign, “Spread the Word to End the Word,” to get people to think about how their language affects others. They offer a lot of ways to support the effort.
H/t Jen at Change.org. Note especially the tweetchat – if you’re interested, it starts in just a little while here.
Make a pledge on http://www.r-word.org/
Tweet about it: “I pledged to end the use of the r-word today – can you? http://www.r-word.org/ #rword.”
Donate your Facebook Status: “I pledge and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the r-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities. http://www.r-word.org/ #rword”
Join the Tweetchat at 4 PM EST:
- Allow Tweetchat to “authorize” your Twitter Account.
- Enter #rword to enter the Tweetchat
Watch the videos.
- Illinois Legislation Would Prevent Forcible Sterilizations of People With Disabilities by Cara March 2, 2009
- Australian Accessible Parking Scheme Would Exclude Many People with Disabilities by Cara May 29, 2009
- Creature Comforts, An Update by Lauren January 6, 2009