Amazon is apparently stripping sales ranking indicators from LGBT, sexuality and feminist books — because they are “adult material.” The books are blocked from appearing in some searches, and are prevented from appearing on some best-seller lists.
Here’s a list of books that have been de-ranked (full disclosure: It includes Yes Means Yes, the anthology that Cara and I contributed to). Apparently Heather Has Two Mommies and various lesbian parenting guides are “adult.” Interestingly, books like From the Pit to the Palace: Conquering the Spirit of Homosexuality and A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Homosexuality are still considered appropriate to be ranked. Jezebel has more on which books were stripped of their rankings, and which ones weren’t.
Check out #amazonfail on Twitter for more.
Thanks to Meredith for sending this on.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- What do conservatives spend their time thinking about? by Jill November 26, 2007
- The Good Old Days by Jill February 14, 2008
- Oh, you bad, bad women. by Chally January 6, 2010
- School of Knocked Up by Jill September 24, 2007
- It’s 10pm. Do you know where your local roving gangs of lesbians are? by Jill June 30, 2007