Good news: President Obama has eliminated abstinence-only education funding in his 2010 budget. Joe at Amplify Your Voice writes:
Not only are all of the abstinence-only funds eliminated, but $173 million dollars will now be going to teen pregnancy prevention programs around the country that don’t have to adhere to the ridiculous standards that were there before.
While we can celebrate this news for now, we aren’t quite out of the woods yet. A door is still open for Congress to sneak these funds back in if we don’t put enough pressure on them.
Of the $110 million that are going to state-based teen pregnancy prevention programs, 75% are going to “evidence-based” programs, while 25% are going “new models” which aren’t explicitly defined. The danger here is that Congress might still try to slip abstinence-only programs into the budget during the appropriations process. David Obey, the Democratic chair of the Appropriations Committee, has tried to increase funding for abstinence-only programs in the past, and we need to make sure that he and his colleagues don’t allow this to happen now.
He’s right that we should stay vigilant on this one, but it is great news. Now drop a note to your Congressperson and tell them to make sure inaccurate, dangerous abstinence-only ed stays in the trash bin where it belongs.
- Congress Continues Attempts to Fund Abstinence-Only Education by Cara February 25, 2009
- Good News: Abstinence-only funding cut, family planning services funded by Jill June 21, 2007
- Thy Virginity Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks. by Ryan July 3, 2005
- The downside of the Obama budget by Jill May 7, 2009
- Take Issue, Take Charge by Lauren September 21, 2005