Tomorrow, May 17, is the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. This year, IDAHO is focusing on transphobia:
Each year, the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (the “IDAHO”, as it is usually called), will see actions and initiatives take place in many countries and contexts and on many different issues.
All these activities and initiatives are a very strong signal to all, decisions makers, public opinion, civil rights movements, human rights defenders, etc. throughout the world that our fights for our Rights as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer, intersex, etc… is vibrant!
The Day provides all different kind of actors with a very powerful opportunity to express their demands and to advocate for their case. Each year also, the IDAHO aims at using the extra public, political and media attention that it provides at all levels to highlight one specific aspect of the struggle for sexual rights.
This year, we chose to highlight the often neglected but important issue of Transphobia.
Remember, this is an international appeal, so anyone can sign. And of course, don’t forget to spread the word.
- International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia by Chally May 17, 2010
- Trans Day of Action – Friday, June 27, NYC by Jack June 26, 2008
- Reminder: November 20th is the Transgender Day of Remembrance by Cara November 18, 2009
- Transgender Woman Beaten By Police and Threatened With Murder in Honduras by Cara February 10, 2009
- Remembrance and Action by Jack November 18, 2008