This is the latest cover of the National Review.
I don’t even know what to say. Ann pretty much has it covered.
But, if Sonia Sotomayor actually was South Asian, I’d still find this an incredibly racist cover. And of course, she’s obviously not. As the cover itself acknowledges, she is Latina (specifically, Puerto Rican). But apparently any ethnicity and culture that isn’t white just blurs together with all the others, and is too confusing to sort out. A woman of color is a woman of color is a woman of color, right? When you need a racist stereotype — and how could we ever talk about women of color without using racist and likely sexist stereotypes?, the media asks incredulously — any old one will do.
There’s a whole lot of levels of wrong here. Incredibly racist wrong. I’m pretty much speechless.
- No, you’re the racist one! I myself am colorblind. by Jill March 30, 2008
- Bill Cunningham: Democrats Think “a Woman’s Womb is a Tomb” by Cara February 5, 2009
- So what exactly counts as “racist” these days? by Jill August 12, 2010
- Stuff White People Like by Jill February 20, 2008
- Speechless Indeed by Jill July 13, 2008