An elderly manwalked into the Holocaust Museum, one of the capital’s most-visited sites, shortly after 1 p.m. Wednesday and opened fire with a shoulder weapon or pistol, wounding a security guard before being shot and disabled himself, officials said.
The gunman was identified by NBC News as James W. von Brunn, a man in his late 80s who embraces a far-reaching conspiracy theory involving Jews, blacks and other minority groups, according a Web site he maintains. Early reports indicated that he lives in eastern Maryland.
However, the police chief here, Cathy Lanier, said the identity of the gunman had not been confirmed.
According to NBC, the man who shot a security guard and potentially one to two other people at the Holocaust Museum today is 89-year-old James W. Von Brunn. Von Brunn maintains a white-supremacist Web site, HolyWesternEmpire.org. The biography of Von Brunn on the site states that he spent over six years in federal prison for attempting to “place the treasonous Federal Reserve Board of Governors under legal, non-violent, citizens arrest.” A World War II veteran and resident of Maryland, Von Brunn is the author of a pamphlet entitled “Kill the Best Gentiles: A new, hard-hitting exposé of the JEW CONSPIRACY to destroy the White gene-pool.” He is a Holocaust denier who has written that “Hilter’s worse mistake” was that “he didn’t gas the Jews.”
This and an abortion provider shot within less than two weeks. But sure, the Obama administration was over-reaching when they said that right-wing domestic extremism is a threat. And heaven forbid we suggest that there should be some basic limitations on gun ownership. I’ll just quote Pareene:
When the Department of Homeland Security issued a report warning of potential violence by “right-wing extremists,” the right-wingers of the internet were enraged. Then some right-wing extremists started killing people.
- Genocide and thousands of years of persecution vs. an unflattering New York Times article: Kind of the same! by Jill April 2, 2010
- So not that I should be surprised that Andrew Breitbart would liken criticism to rape… by Jill January 12, 2011
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not The Taliban by Sam August 6, 2008
- More on the misogynist shooting in Pennsylvania by Jill August 5, 2009
- “Hey, sorry I killed your husband. I really meant to just wound and incapacitate him.” by zuzu January 11, 2007