Quick hit: eXtreme victim-blaming!

The title of the press release: “Promiscuous men more likely to rape

The title of the Telegraph article: Women who dress provocatively more likely to be raped, claim scientists. Women who drink alcohol, wear short skirts and are outgoing are more likely to be raped, claim scientists at the University of Leicester.”

The researcher who was interviewed spoke out about the misrepresentations of her work (she is an MSc student and this was her dissertation, which is also apparently unfinished).

According to current.com, the article has been pulled and corrections have been issued. It’s hard to see how they can explain away something like this.

The Bad Science blog offers this update:

Via @jackofkent, here are the articles Richard Alleyne of the Telegraph has written about recently. I’m not saying anything. I’m just saying. Is all.

www.journalisted.com/richard-alleyne

From Pharyngula. H/T hearshot

(Cross-posted at Three Rivers Fog)

7 comments for “Quick hit: eXtreme victim-blaming!

1. susan
    July 10, 2009 at 2:47 pm

IMO the Daily Telegraph ain’t it to line the bottom of a birdcage.

2. Madeline
    July 12, 2009 at 12:10 am

“Women who dress provocatively more likely to be raped”

Why do so many people want this to be true so very badly?

I’ve pondered it, and come to the conclusion that one of the reasons why victim-blaming exists is to soften the emotional impact of the crime itself on people who hear about it. The horror of rape is lessened if the blame for it can be somehow shifted off of the rapist.

After all, we don’t like to believe that there are people out there who will hurt others simply because they want to. There has to be some other explanation – they must have been driven to it.

It’s really a defense mechanism for those who can’t bear the thought of themselves or someone they love becoming the victim of a violent crime. If a rape victim did something to bring it upon herself, then the rest of us are safe as long as we don’t do what she did.

Combine that with a huge dose of misogyny, and you get the kind of bullshit that is “Women who dress provocatively more likely to be raped.”

3. prettyamiable
    July 13, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Well, obviously I’ve been sexually assaulted twice because of the easy access my short skirts provide, the sultry eye make up I wear, and the attractive nature of passing out drooling in my own bed at home. I’m sure it wasn’t the psychologically-deficient males who thought my inability to say no was an implicit yes.

I love how individuals try to find common denominators in rape and assault cases and not one seems to realize that there is exactly one: the perpetrators who commit these crimes are all fucked up. You know, the way criminals are.

Bullshit rag or not, it’s exactly this dribble that my idiot mother reads that leads her to recommending to me that I stop drinking. Apparently being an attractive woman means I don’t have the same right to destroy my liver as anyone else.

4. July 13, 2009 at 3:22 pm

But prettyamiable, pretty women are a public good! You are obligated to preserve your prettiness for the use of any man who so wishes to use it! Silly pretty girl, your body is for others’ use.

5. prettyamiable
    July 13, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Silly me, I forget myself in these trying and confusing modern times. Now if you excuse me, I need to go churn some butter for the sandwiches I need to go make some big, burly men. You know. For after. I just want to nap, but my will is their I Dream of Jeannie command.

6. July 23, 2009 at 4:07 am

To me this brings back the day in Religious Studies, 15 or so years ago (when I was about 13), when the (male) teacher in all seriousness told us that exact same thing (“Well, the way some girls dress, with those mini-skirts and all, they’re asking for it.”).

One of the more outspoken girls in my class luckily made a point of calling him on his bullshit, and he semi-apologized. But I never regained my respect for him. I can’t believe this is still going on, and it makes me mad like few things do.