1. FashionablyEvil
    FashionablyEvil July 15, 2009 at 8:35 pm |

Promoting the idea that teens should respect their partners and enjoy sexual experiences? Just like adults?

Oh, I don’t think the people freaking out about this think adults should respect their partners or enjoy sex either. Sex is dirty and shameful, solely for procreation, and if you get knocked up, well, that’s your punishment, isn’t it?
    /snark

Regardless, I am really impressed by the comment from Steve Slack that the information “is designed to encourage young people to delay losing their virginity until they are sure they will enjoy the experience.” No one ever says this aloud (see above about sex being dirty and shameful), but it definitely squares with my experience.

2. R
    R July 16, 2009 at 7:24 am |

Just to let you know that the age of consent in the UK is 16. Not that it makes a great deal of difference to your post but it does mean that the UK technically condones children’s sexual activity as 18 is still the age of maturity. This means that it cannot be so easily compared to US sex education and policy.

3. ACG
    ACG July 16, 2009 at 9:26 am |

Is there a magical button, somehow pressed when a person turns 18, that suddenly allows them to experience sexual desire, pleasure, and satisfaction? Of course not; you and I know this is a ridiculous idea.

Ridiculous indeed. Everyone knows that sex should always be a chore and a woman is never supposed to experience actual sexual desire, pleasure, or satisfaction.

4. Crystal
    Crystal July 16, 2009 at 10:36 am |

This pamphlet sounds incredible. I love the fact that someone is finally standing up for the fact that sex is not only the polar opposite of dirty, but it is also healthy! I love the idea of educating children realistically and openly about sex. Why shouldn’t they know it feels good?

5. squirrely
    squirrely July 16, 2009 at 1:21 pm |

There is a sex ed curriculum that teaches this. It’s called OWL: Our Whole Lives. The sex-ed-for-adults version of it was profiled in “O” magazine last month, but it has curricula starting in Kindergarten.

The basic idea? Sexuality is a part of our lives from the day we are born until we die. Sexual relationships between people should be mutually pleasurable, consensual, non-exploitive and safe.

Why this is even controversial, I’ll never know.

6. Misspelled
    Misspelled July 16, 2009 at 2:05 pm |

“it is designed to encourage young people to delay losing their virginity until they are sure they will enjoy the experience.”

That actually makes me feel like an idiot. I’m nineteen, and in what feels like a thousand different conversations, sometimes on feminist sites but mostly with my sisters and my friends, we’ve tried to pinpoint the exact right-sounding, teenage-girl-friendly answer to “When should I lose my virginity?” And I’ve always wondered why answers like “when you’re ready” and “when it’s right for you” are so dissatisfying, when we all know they’re true, and helpful, and the alternatives are either “after you’re married!” or “as soon as someone, anyone, asks.”

But phrased like that, it seems so obvious. When you will enjoy the experience. When it will make you happy. When you want to. When you feel good about it. That’s the point. It’s not a huge difference in phrasing, but it’s key. And I feel like an asshole for never having thought to put it that way, coming to the issue from what is supposed to be the healthier, more supportive viewpoint.

It’s a great quote and it sounds like a great pamphlet. Over here, please!

7. Silver Belles
    Silver Belles July 16, 2009 at 8:33 pm |

Misspelled,

I don’t think that makes you an idiot, it just shows how difficult it is to find a way out of this mess (the whole mess that feminism points out I mean) if the ideas we’re brought up on and the language we hear (and therefor fall back onto using) is patriarchal, and in this case sex-shaming.

8. who cares
    who cares July 21, 2009 at 12:43 am |

so what. you shouldnt be appalled sex does feel good. everyone knows this regardless of school. Im proud that the schools are saying the truth finally not lying and saying it hurts every time, or that every time you masturbate god kills a kitten ive heard them all.

sex is not dirty and shameful, its about the conncetion and there is no shame, it takes confidence in ones appearance and mind to do it, if god wanted it to be called dirty and shameful then why did he make it feel so good to do, and then why would the result be a beautiful child? sex makes ones complexion better, hair stronger and shinyer, body more entergetic and alert. STD’S are a major downside that result from sex..you can also get std’s like crabs from sitting on a toilet…but that dosent stop people from peeing…is that shameful too then?

no one uses sex to keep a guy around…if a guys gonna leave, he’s gonna leave whos gonna have sex with someone they dont want….??? mabye a prostitute…but hey prostitutes gotta eat and pay bills too…they do what it takes to stay alive and the world goes on.

9. P
    P August 4, 2009 at 1:51 am |

R,
    Age of consent in the US varies by state (and occasionally by gender), but in the vast majority of places the acceptable age is 16, just like in the UK.