Senate Confirms Sotomayor

Awesome.

Sotomayor would not have been my first pick for a Supreme Court justice for a lot of reasons — chief among them her disturbing deference to law enforcement and her lack of regard for privacy rights. But she is undoubtedly a highly-qualified and seasoned jurist, even if I don’t agree with all of her judicial philosophies. It’s embarassing on the part of the Republicans who didn’t vote to confirm her.

And not bad that we finally have the first Latina@ Supreme Court justice, and the third woman.

13 comments for “Senate Confirms Sotomayor

1. August 6, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Feh. Another Yankee fan.

And Ginsburg’s likely to be the next to resign, too.

2. August 6, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Yeah, I should have mentioned the Yankees thing… it’s Sotomayor’s biggest flaw.

3. Henry
    August 6, 2009 at 9:37 pm

“It’s embarassing on the part of the Republicans who didn’t vote to confirm her. ”

I think they’ll survive the shame. After all, it’s not like she’s the first nominee to be opposed on ideological grounds.

4. laprofe63
    August 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm

3 women in nearly 220 years of court history. THAT is simply unacceptable!

And, careful… Yankees fans are generally New Yorkers, and we don’t take kindly to being messed with, especially not those from the BX!

5. Katie
    August 6, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Ahem, “Latina.”

It’s the generally preferred term and has the benefit of being how she describes herself.

6. Mishi
    August 7, 2009 at 8:32 am

I hope RBG isn’t the next to resign, she’s like the fiercest justice ever. Didn’t she get confirmed with something like 96% of the senate because she is just that awesome?

7. August 7, 2009 at 11:56 am

I’m a little worried about this appointment. Being Cuban myself, I applaud them for finally appointing a Hispanic, as that was long overdue. I feel though that there were better options out there.

Sotamayor’s financial irresponsibility troubles me. She does not live within her means, and this usually reflects irresponsibility in other aspects of her life. I wish her well, but I find that aspect extremely troubling.

Check out my blog about her personal finances at http://www.thedebtgazette.com/2009/08/justice-sonia-sotamayor-financial-irresponsiblity/

8. Tom Foolery
    August 7, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Yeah, I should have mentioned the Yankees thing… it’s Sotomayor’s biggest flaw.

It’s all part of her record of siding with the big guy against the little guy.

9. August 7, 2009 at 12:56 pm

So true.

10. laprofe63
    August 7, 2009 at 1:22 pm

She may side with the “big guy” over the “little guy” more often than not, and fault her for that –after all she is a Harvard Law grad, no?

But please people, she is from the BRONX and grew up in the shadow of Yankee Stadium. What, is she supposed to be a Red Sox fan?

11. August 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Mets!

12. August 8, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I’m a lifelong Brooklynite, so I’m a Mets fan (only because the Dodgers are gone). Justice Ginsburg and I grew up in roughly the same neighborhood, though several decades apart.