1. Persia
    Persia August 28, 2009 at 10:24 am |

I could understand her arguing that she didn’t know the connection to Jack Johnson, but I cannot believe anyone can argue with a straight face that by ‘white’ she did not actually mean ‘white.’ It’s ridiculous.

2. blondie
    blondie August 28, 2009 at 10:35 am |

Sometimes the echo chambers of the right become so insular that they accidentally blurt out what they really think, in public. Then, when the public reacts with astonishment and disgust, they try to backtrack to explain that the racist thing they said wasn’t really racist. Or they didn’t mean it to be racist. Or something.

The thing that tickles me a bit about this latest gaffe is that I suspect this representative thought she was one of the bright “lights” of the GOP, who would have the promising future of leading the party to fight its way back into power. Well, she’s probably got the backing of the white supremacists (except she is just a female, you know), but the rest of the party may be a bit shy of her.

3. Links of the Day (8/28/09) | my five year plan.

[...] From Feministe, probably the best discussion I’ve come across of Lynn Jenkins’ “Great White Hope” speech [...]

4. walrus
    walrus August 28, 2009 at 11:44 am |

me thinks thy lady hath parentage that thus useth said “Great White Hope” with regularity

5. Hershele Ostropoler
    Hershele Ostropoler August 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm |

Is Eric Cantor white these days? Because fifty years ago, certainly 75, I’m not sure.

6. polerin
    polerin August 28, 2009 at 1:58 pm |

What saddens me is that the democrats are constantly frighted of and beat by these toemunchers.

7. Marcy Webb
    Marcy Webb August 28, 2009 at 8:18 pm |

I blogged about this topic myself. First, Rep. Jenkins says she “misspoke.” Then she says she didn’t know the implications of the term, “Great White Hope”. Rep. Jenkins is a liar and a disgrace.