I didn’t post anything yesterday on purpose. All of the attention surrounding September 11th made me feel weird about sharing anything not related to the events of eight years ago. And as a Native New Yorker, it feels hard to not engage in the public remembrance. For me, the events of September 11th are so intertwined with the death of my maternal grandfather, (who passed away in Puerto Rico around that time) that the public mourning feels wrong for me. I also can’t stomach the separation of the atrocities of that day from the subsequent atrocities committed in our names against the Iraqi people. I am sorry for all those who lost loved ones on September 11th, and as a result of what happened that day. But you’ll understand if I choose to grieve in private.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- It’s saturday night and I’m all confessional-y by Guest: Aishwarya July 7, 2007
- What I Wish People Knew About Cancer by Guest: Aimee September 10, 2009
- More presidential elections by Guest: Aishwarya July 2, 2007
- On Hating Rakhi Sawant by Guest: Aishwarya July 5, 2007
- Adios… by Guest: Aimee September 14, 2009