If you’re in New York City, go vote today

It’s election day in New York, so hopefully you’re all getting out there and casting your ballots. Planned Parenthood has a handy voter guide to check out – you’d be surprised by how many candidates have mixed views on choice, or didn’t even answer the questions. And it’s worth remembering that city council members and other local politicians often have the most power when it comes to issues like sexual health education and access to reproductive health care like emergency contraception.

The race I’m most interested in is the one for Manhattan District Attorney — even though I can’t vote in it, since I live in Brooklyn. Leslie Crocker Snyder has a decent shot of being the first female DA in Manhattan, and she’s certainly an impressive and accomplished woman — but she’s a little too “tough on crime” for the tastes of many liberals. Of course, she’s also been the target of most of the mudslinging by the tabloid press, so I think it’s fair to say that New Yorkers are more familiar with her record (good and bad) than the others’.

Richard Aborn has focused on racial inequalities in the criminal justice system, and is a proponent of stricter gun control laws and treatment over incarceration for non-violent offenders. He’s also endorsed by Jerry Nadler, a gem of a congressman. He has very fair views on the rights of criminal defendants — very important for a prosecutor.

Cy Vance is a solid Democratic contender — tough on both violent and white-collar crime — and he’s endorsed by Gloria Steinem and the New York Times.

You can read the candidates’ views on women’s issues, in their own words, here.

It’ll be an interesting race.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. RD
    RD September 15, 2009 at 11:26 am |

Vote Aborn for DA.

2. Rebecca
    Rebecca September 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm |

I forgot to send in the form to get an absentee ballot. *facepalm* (I’m not in the city, but I think we have primaries too.)

3. Iggles
    Iggles September 15, 2009 at 1:21 pm |

I’m voting for Leslie Crocker Synder.

I watched a bit of the DA debate on NY1. I liked her style. I prefer someone aggressive in the role. Aborn came off too apologetic and struck me as the stereotypical “weak knee liberal” (we need someone to stand for us!). Vance seemed too entrenched in the establishment. He struck me as a middle of the road, rich democrat.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, I’m just stating my impressions from the debate. They all seem to have fine records. I think they are all qualified for the position.

4. NicoleGW
    NicoleGW September 15, 2009 at 1:23 pm |

Has anyone found a good resource on City Council members? Many in my district either don’t have a webpage, or don’t summarize their stances particularly thoroughly on their websites.

5. Neil
    Neil September 15, 2009 at 2:59 pm |

Best local voter resource out there – Gotham Gazette.

Check it out – http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/issueoftheweek/20090908/200/3007

6. Melissa
    Melissa September 15, 2009 at 3:11 pm |

After you vote in New York, don’t forget to check out the Women, Money, and Power Summit in Washington DC on October 4-5!

Feminist leaders from all over the country, including Gloria Steinem and Dolores Huerta, are coming together to discuss important political issues. Don’t miss out! REGISTER TODAY!!

7. Lindsay Beyerstein
    Lindsay Beyerstein September 15, 2009 at 5:09 pm |

Leslie Crocker Snyder is a Nancy Grace wannabe. I’d vote for Vance if I lived in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn.

I did have the privilege of voting for Norm Siegel for Public Advocate today, so I’m happy.

8. RD
    RD September 15, 2009 at 5:16 pm |

We do NOT need a “tough” or “aggressive” DA.

9. RD
    RD September 15, 2009 at 5:17 pm |

Aborn is the most progressive candidate in the race.

10. What you should have read, but might have missed, last week. « ’NYC Unrated & Unfiltered

[...] The PPNYC Action Fund’s Voter Guide was plugged by feministing and Feministe. [...]