Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

You know what to do.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Renee
    Renee October 25, 2009 at 10:07 am |

For Historica Canada Women Of Color Are Invisible:Examining the erasure of women of color in Canada’s attempt to celebrate the achievement of women.

Don’t Let A Girl Beat You: Looking at how little girls are discouraged from participating in sports.

Accessibility The Soundtrack of my Life: Looking at why the legal requirements do not necessarily mean that a place is accessible.

Sex Segregated Schools for Children: Boys schools have been suggested at the solution for boys falling behind in school. This does not address the cookie cutter approach to education that is currently in place.

Does Choice Always Equal Abortion: Looking at why choosing to carry a child term is often dependent on may factors.

2. Laura
    Laura October 25, 2009 at 10:09 am |

Let’s Not Get Emotional: I think that emotions will always factor into decisions.

3OH!3 Strikes Again: 3OH!3′s new song “Starstrukk” is disturbing.

My weekly reviews of Glee and Dollhouse (there was no new episode of Bones this week).

3. Miranda
    Miranda October 25, 2009 at 10:14 am |

What’s new on Women’s Glib…

I love Girldrive.

Did you hear about Walgreens’ “illegal alien” costume?

New Yorkers: volunteer with NARAL to get pro-choicers elected on November 3rd!

4. Renee
    Renee October 25, 2009 at 10:20 am |

Forgot to mention Sunday Shame/Pride Crocs edition: Pop by and admit your footwear shame.

5. shannon
    shannon October 25, 2009 at 10:30 am |

On whining, people aren’t having babies for welfare

In add theater, we have a review of The Magicians

6. Froth
    Froth October 25, 2009 at 10:32 am |

I talk about small talk, and discuss the problem with Men’s Rights campaigners (featuring MRA poetry!).

7. Ouyang Dan
    Ouyang Dan October 25, 2009 at 10:46 am |

My contribution to Ableist Word Profile: You’re So OCD!

The Pain of House is a look at how the writers do not understand chronic pain and/or its management.

My series on health care in the Military and the VA begins with Shifting the Responsibility for Disability in Uniform, and A Delayed Deployment of Care.

At random babble… I have Things I forgot but shouldn’t have… about Hawai’i’s health care system.

8. Bond
    Bond October 25, 2009 at 10:52 am |

1. S. Bear Bergman’s identity and me: onThe Nearest Exit May Be Behind You, the latest book about gender by the author of Butch Is A Noun.

2. Butch/Fag: some thoughts on passing, gender-role limits and masculinity.

9. Serena
    Serena October 25, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  10. RMJ
    RMJ October 25, 2009 at 11:04 am |

On Wednesday, I looked at patterns of ableism (particularly towards persons with visible disabilities) on 30 Rock.

On Thursday, I covered “race baiting” in Virginia’s first “post-racial” election.

On Friday, I wrote about “privilege hand-wringing” – when feminists look for cookies rather than growth when admitting one’s mistakes.

Also today, I inaugurated a new regular feature, Foul-Up Fridays, that will serve as an accountability system when I mess up. The first post in the series is on my use of the word “dumb” and “bimbo” in application towards Britney Spears.

11. lauredhel
    lauredhel October 25, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  12. Clarissa
    Clarissa October 25, 2009 at 11:15 am |

On Hollywood and violence against women:

Why women have sex?

I have also written a two part review of Jessica Valenti’s “Yes means Yes” on the new definition of rape and what we should do to combat rape culture.

13. Jenny Knopinski
    Jenny Knopinski October 25, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  14. Erica A
    Erica A October 25, 2009 at 11:18 am |

I don’t know about the “shameless self-promotion” part, because I just started this blog about a month ago, and I’m still sort of figuring out how it works (I learned how to hyperlink a couple weeks ago! w00t!). But here is the blog. I started it to chronicle some of my experiences in med school (I’m a first-year), but it’s sort of expanded to take on more general feminist topics. I’d love feedback!

15. SnowdropExplodes
    SnowdropExplodes October 25, 2009 at 11:24 am |

This week (well, on Monday – haven’t written much since then!) I wrote about:

why “End Demand” (Swedish model) prostitution laws are harmful to women.

The murder of Andrea Waddell, a trans sex worker in Brighton, England (a city not far from where I live, I picked up the story in the local press).

16. Sungold
    Sungold October 25, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  17. Elizabeth Kissling
    Elizabeth Kissling October 25, 2009 at 11:28 am |

This week at >re: Cycling – the Blog of the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research, we’ve written about the Vulvagraphic show in New York, discrimination against fat women in seeking health care, why health care reform is a women’s issue, and World Menopause Day.

18. Isabel
    Isabel October 25, 2009 at 11:30 am |

The same thing that bothers me about the “can sex work be fun/fulfilling” argument, inspirational cliches, & the more college education will fix everything argument – some jobs just need to be done, and sometimes they suck.

19. K
    K October 25, 2009 at 11:31 am |

A couple of short posts:

New NVA Newsletter – the National Vulvodynia Association put out a new newsletter with updates about studies, books, media, etc. If you or someone you know has experienced vulvar pain (as if anyone is allowed to admit that without getting the stinkeye) direct them there.

An example of an article about FSD – someone wrote yet another typical example of an article about female sexual dysfunction. Which gets a lot of things wrong & offensive to people who really do want treatment. So much damning & condemnation for patients & doctors to deal with. So much sensationalism. So much denial.

Hey, IPSA e-mailed me back! – I emailed a sex surrogacy organization some questions and they answered! Neat!

20. Bianca Reagan
    Bianca Reagan October 25, 2009 at 11:52 am |

I wrote posts!

“Rhymes with Witch”, about the fourth completed chapter in the sequel to Steve the Penguin.

“There’s the old boys club again.”, about President Obama’s recent comments on men as parents.

Enjoy!

21. meloukhia
    meloukhia October 25, 2009 at 11:53 am |

Some things I wrote about this week: In the Streets about street harassment, and Things That Happen, Things That Shouldn’t about domestic violence, seeing as how October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Over at FWD, I asked Where Are All the People With Disabilities on film and television.

22. Atheling
    Atheling October 25, 2009 at 11:53 am |

I wrote up a few thoughts on literature and the Bechdel Test.

23. The Arbourist
    The Arbourist October 25, 2009 at 11:56 am |

I’ve been on a bit of local kick as of late so I’d like to share how Alberta is foiling the Conservatives by going further to the right. (take that common sense) and how even up here in teh evil Canadian socialist wilderness neo-conservative thought is alive and well.

24. EvilSlutClique
    EvilSlutClique October 25, 2009 at 12:28 pm |

This week in Evil Slutopia:

~We gave some tips for Breast Cancer Awareness month by reminding you to think before you pink this October.

~We addressed the American Life League’s totally creepy idea for carving pro-life pumpkins.

~Lilith’s 9-year-old daughter wrote her very first guest blog about sexist Swiffer commercials!

~We made the mistake of listening to Rush Limbaugh for a few minutes, and learned about how he totally helped one woman to see the light.

25. Lauren O
    Lauren O October 25, 2009 at 12:47 pm |

I wrote about so-called chemical castration as a punishment for rapists. Turns out it’s a complete misnomer and not half as bad as it sounds. Meanwhile, Roma women are actually being forcibly sterilized, and yet that doesn’t seem to get as much attention as the plight of the poor rapists.

Then I wrote a post about the awful driving culture in Austin (I moved here recently from California, where I could ride my bike most of the time).

I also wrote about racist reactions to “KKK” appearing as a trending topic on Twitter.

And finally, I’m breaking the feminist blogosphere mold by posting cute pictures not of a dog or a cat but of capybara I met yesterday.

26. Lauren
    Lauren October 25, 2009 at 1:02 pm |

I wrote a poem about femininity: http://thefbomb.org/2009/10/femininity/

27. Nancy Green
    Nancy Green October 25, 2009 at 1:06 pm |

Never mind the circle of life, follow the circle of plastic from a factory in Beijing to a floating mass of garbage in the Atlantic. Halloween trinkets might come back to haunt you–how scary is that?
    And now that Christmas has been bought and gift-wrapped, capitalism is coming for a humble pagan holiday– unless we take it back! Homemade costumes and a thousand uses for toilet paper…

War on Halloween- More Plastic

28. Feminist Review
    Feminist Review October 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm |

If the front book cover of Jacqueline Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, and Nancy Reagan in silver one-pieces doing the cancan is the craziest thing you have ever seen, wait until you open the book. In Feisty First Ladies and Other Unforgettable White House Women, Autumn Stephens reveals stories about the United States First Ladies that you never learned in history class.

The Good Karma Pendant from The Pretty Peacock is an interesting metaphor for my current relationship with feminism…At the time I knew little of dynamism and fluidity and the absence of a singular truth. I named the world I’d fuzzily conjured feminism, named those who inhabited this egalitarian world feminists (even if they didn’t refer to themselves in that way), and stood behind my ever-evolving creation like a shield. I put that name front-and-center. I dared anyone to take it away from me… until the day I took it away from myself because I no longer wanted a weapon, and I was tired of the fighting that came mostly from within the ranks.

29. Bitch Magazine
    Bitch Magazine October 25, 2009 at 1:20 pm |

Sample the World, Feminist Style, Every day I read news from all over the globe while sipping my morning coffee…

In the Name of First Ascents and Cultural Connection, Meet Majka Burhardt. She is a professional climber and writer.

Law & Order to air episode based on Dr. Tiller’s murder, ’nuff said.

Cougar Me This, There’s a new Cougar in town.

30. jane brazen
    jane brazen October 25, 2009 at 2:11 pm |

Over at good girls don’t, I wrote about sexism and mental illness, using my own experiences to consider how being a woman and having a mental illness are re-enforcing. The post is called Because I am a woman: women and mental illness.

31. Natalie
    Natalie October 25, 2009 at 2:56 pm |

I wrote about this week’s Mad Men, the mostly betterness of this week’s Glee (but what was UP with Will using Artie as a prop??), and the divergence on how I think Senator Clemente on FlashForward is secretly Hillary Clinton.

32. Faith
    Faith October 25, 2009 at 2:58 pm |

Sometimes it’s so good to have breakfast for dinner with your sweetie!

In anticipation of Sade’s new release here’s a retrospective.

Women’s healthcare is not a pre-existing condition and what you can do

33. KevDC
    KevDC October 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm |

If you need a smile on Sunday, here’s Mara Levi’s new video: http://bit.ly/e16fJ

34. Shiyiya
    Shiyiya October 25, 2009 at 3:30 pm |

Identifying: Claiming labels.

35. Abyss2hope
    Abyss2hope October 25, 2009 at 5:26 pm |

Date rape drug testers as deterrence highlights a situation where instant testing was used by a bartender as primary prevention which prevented an intended drugging and led to a man’s arrest.

National survey on children’s exposure to violence looks at a report which includes the fact that those aged 12 to 19 were twice as likely to be victims of violent crime than the general population and how that relates to a type of sex crime many people minimize as being victimless.

Criminal defense lawyers cast doubt on old DNA evidence highlights a reason given opposing John Doe indictments which if valid undermines the validity of many DNA exonerations.

36. Angelia Sparrow
    Angelia Sparrow October 25, 2009 at 5:49 pm |

First page Friday has started. Comment for a chance at free books until 2010.

It’s that time of year for pagan rituals.

37. FW
    FW October 25, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  38. Suzan
    Suzan October 25, 2009 at 7:04 pm |

This week I continued discussing transsexual and transgendered people hegemonic colonization of intersex trough surreal fantasy claims to actually being intersex and not transsexual or transgender.

39. cleofaye
    cleofaye October 25, 2009 at 8:33 pm |

I wrote 2 entries for my sex blog I’m really proud of.

1. Loving your local sex store… all about what to look for in a woman friendly, welcoming sex store: http://sexetcetc.blogspot.com/2009/10/loving-your-local-sex-store.html

2. Anal Sex :Myths and Facts…. debunking some myths about butt sex:http://sexetcetc.blogspot.com/2009/10/anal-sex-part-1-myths-and-facts.html

40. Rebecca
    Rebecca October 25, 2009 at 9:53 pm |

1. Sexual Reasoning – It’s OK to be a pre-op (or non-op) transsexual and still like having sex. I promise.
    2. Coming Out – I recall coming out to my parents, so many years ago.
    3. Reconciling Regret – I’m really struggling with regret and guilt over not transitioning earlier, and have been doing some writing on the subject.

41. Caitlin
    Caitlin October 25, 2009 at 11:54 pm |

Target Women, Jamie Leigh Jones, Girl singing groups throughout the years, painter Joan Mitchell, awesome old Sesame Street clips, and a book review of Girls Like Us

42. Joy-Mari Cloete
    Joy-Mari Cloete October 26, 2009 at 3:13 am |

Women: the patriarchy needs your support!

It’s a longish rant about how some women are active supporters of the patriarchy.

Don’t dis your own people: how important it is not to denigrate people of your own race. This could also be extended to your own country, your own social class, or to your own village/town/suburb.

43. Aftercancer
    Aftercancer October 26, 2009 at 8:55 am |

Over at After cancer, now what I ask Would you risk your life for insurance?

44. factcheckme
    factcheckme October 26, 2009 at 9:48 am |

the evolution of barbie…be afraid. be very afraid.

45. s.
    s. October 26, 2009 at 1:39 pm |

Halloween Sans Cleavage:Thanks to some prompting from o filthy grandeur! I posted about my attempt at making decidedly non-sexy superhero costumes for my husband and I – and learned that there was in fact a female Robin, named Stephanie, no less!