Chally is a student by day, a freelance writer by night, a scary, scary feminist all the time, and a voracious reader whenever she has a spare moment. She also blogs at Zero at the Bone. Full bio here.

1. Spilt Milk
    Spilt Milk November 18, 2009 at 1:02 am |

Dr Catherine Hamlin is one of my personal heroes. Every time I read about obstetric fistulas I want to cry – this time I shall donate instead. What a worthy issue to bring to wider attention Chally.

2. James Martin
    James Martin November 18, 2009 at 2:26 am |

One interesting way to donate to the Fistula Foundation would be to buy this book, doing so would send all profit to the Fistula Foundation. “One Dimensional Woman”, by Nina Power. It is from Zero Books and can be purchased from Verso or Amazon. The book was just released and it asks many interesting questions about Feminism and it’s co-optation by Sarah Palin, etc.

3. lilacsigil
    lilacsigil November 18, 2009 at 3:10 am |

I donate monthly, and it’s also tax deductible in Australia if you donate more than $2. While I sometimes feel uncomfortable with the strong colonialist overtones of some of the things Dr Hamlin says, the work that the hospital does is so vital, and so vastly under-resourced, that I donate. Thanks for posting about this.

4. Cooker
    Cooker November 18, 2009 at 11:57 am |

Wow. That is amazing. At work we are going to do a donation raffle instead of exchanging re-gifted crap for the holidays this year. We’re going to sell scraps of paper for a buck a pop to staff and for each scrap they get to write the name of an organization they support on it. Then whoever is wearing the most absurd festive ensemble will get to draw the winning organization and they get the pot. I will definitely buy a scrap for the Fistula Foundation.

5. Aunti Disestablishmentarian
    Aunti Disestablishmentarian November 18, 2009 at 12:05 pm |

A few years back, I read about Mamitu Gashe, an Ethopian woman who became one of the most skilled fistula surgeons in the world, training medical students in the procedure, and performing thousands herself. She was from a small village, and was illiterate.

Turns out she works (worked?) out of the same hospital Dr. Hamlin set up. I’ve heard little else about her, other than N. Kristof’s NYT article, and a few humble mentions of her in the FF newsletter, some recognition within the Etheopian medical community, and am wondering why more people have not heard of her; A case of Kristof’s manufacturing an underdog feel-good story, racism within FF? Other factors? From outside the situation, we will not have a clear picture, but I wanted to draw attention to Mamitu Gashe’s inspirational achievements and contribution to women’s health.

6. Katherine Kramer
    Katherine Kramer November 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm |

I know of this hospital and hope to volunteer there in the next few years. I did several medical missions, mostly in the caribbean and did get to fix fistulas there, among other things.

7. Sei
    Sei November 19, 2009 at 11:51 am |

Thank you so much for posting this.

In my work, I deal with refugee issues, and the stories women tell of the long-term physical effects (mostly fistulas and secondary infections caused by the fistulas) of rapes they’ve experienced or from childbirth after infibulation…well, they’re enough to give me nightmares.