Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Post a short description of something you’ve written this week, along with a link. Be specific — don’t just link to your whole blog. Happy Sunday!

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. I wanna see you strut, Adam: a post inspired by a conversation i had with a co-worker that confronts the “i don’t mind gay people, but” homophobia.

Fuzz Therapy: your weekly kitty pic.

and I share some thanksgiving humor by Jim Gaffigan.

2. Thomas says:

This week on Yes Means Yes Blog:

No Chosen People, a frank criticism of sexism within BDSM communities. I’m a kinkster and I’ve been involved in various communities of kinksters, and there are a lot of positives, but it’s also easy for kink-friendly folks to get complacent and assume that open communication about consent and limits fixes all problems. It doesn’t — it doesn’t even fix problems of abuse and silencing, and kinksters ought to know better than to tolerate that.

It should go without saying that sex work is not an invitation to rape. Recently, an Australian jury decided, though, that passing judgment on the woman doing sex work was more important to them than punishing a man who admitted his violent conduct.

After my Meet the Predators post, in part about Dr. David Lisak’s research, seemed to really fill a need, I went back to some of Lisak’s other work and discussed his more in-depth analysis of who the rapists are and what their tactics are in Predator Redux.

3. K says:

Talking about FSD – how not to (Part 2) – Part 2 in what will no doubt be a continuing series about what people are saying about female sexual dysfunction. Includes a look at one form of FSD that’s probably nerve damage (it’s not fully understood yet so there’s a lot of misunderstanding.)

4. Brett K says:

On Scientific Journalism: An article on ScienceDaily claims that that males have more personality than females, according to Science. Shockingly enough, I disagree!

5. This week at re:Cycling – the blog of the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research, we wrote about Prempro’s losing streak in the courts, goofy menstrual product ads, Canadian women giving up on the Pill, ‘Ask Amy’s’ bad advice about PMS, and the strange search terms that bring people to a site about menstruation.

6. Eleniel says:

A new feminism and gaming group blog launched today, called The Border House (borderhouseblog.com). We already have a bunch of great posts up, including:

Dragon Age: Gender and Sex Quandry by Denis
    Second Life designer releases bruised skins by Tami

As well as introductions from several of our contributors, with lots to come. Come by and check us out!

7. Renee says:

Seth MacFarlane Attacks Trans women: Looking at an episode of The Cleveland show that aired the same week as the TDOR.

What are we really giving thanks for: Looking at the violence aimed at First Nations behind the Thanksgiving day celebration.

Adam Lambert brings his sexuality to the AMA’s: Looking at how appropriateness for prime time is often decided on the basis of gender and sexuality.

Why Not a Black Santa: Looking at the erasure of POC from the role of Father Christmas and how this is harmful.

Students participate in “kick a Jew Day”: This obvious Anti-Semitic behaviour is justified as kids being kids.

Finally this weeks Sunday Shame is Sponge Bob Square Pants. Stop by and either admit your shame or own up to something embarrassing you are holding on to from childhood.

8. This week I wrote an angry letter to “Ask Amy” Dickinson, correcting her thoughtless response to a young woman who was raped at a frat party. http://jennyknopinski.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/angry-letter-to-amy-dickinson-of-ask-amy/

I celebrated Buy Nothing day by shopping my closet for a new outfit. http://jennyknopinski.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/shop-your-closet/

And I shared my secret recipe for a fantastic vegetarian Thanksgiving. http://jennyknopinski.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/vegetarian-thanksgiving/

9. Renee says:

Also I would like to promote these two posts…living with an alcoholic and will he stop. They are two great posts regarding living with someone who is an alcoholic. Both posts are on a great new blog.

10. Nancy Green says:

An anti-abortion nurse was sued for pulling out a woman’s IUD without her consent. An act of conscience? Old-style conscience is speaking truth to power and taking the consequences. New-style is using your power to impose your beliefs on others, and letting them take the consequences.
    Conscience Clause–Part II

11. Erin says:

I wrote about activist burnout – specifically disability activism.

12. Nancy Green says:

How goes the War on Christmas? A new call to arms when Best Buy dares to wish its customers a happy Eid al-Adha. Pity the teenage store clerk who gets flamed for saying ‘happy holidays’ to one of the Christian Soldiers.
    As for us noncombatants, we need only ask- ‘what would Miss Manners do?’

13. Ariel says:

I know the whole Autumn-y Thanksgiving and Halloween gourd-eating part of the holiday season is over, but pumpkin cheesecake is just too good to ignore =]

14. Natalie says:

I wrote The Dumbing Down of Disability on Glee.

Turkey Time is about a Thanksgiving episode of classic Melrose, and I need your sperm is about melrose soapiness.

My co-blogger wrote about the second to last episode of Glee in And then he’ll be crying into my shoulder pads.

I wrote about Leslie Knope’s AWESOME on last week’s parks and recreation. Her list of female excuses was a tour de force.

And I couldn’t help but feel unsatisfied by the Cylon “plan.”

15. Clara says:

Up at f/law, this week’s post looks at some of the difficult questions around polygamy in Canada: http://canadianwomenandthelaw.blogspot.com/2009/11/difficult-question-of-polygamy-in.html

16. Lauren O says:

Being raised by a mother leads directly to terrorism – A post about a bizarre sexist comment on NPR.

A post about struggling with the theism inherent in the concept of Thanksgiving

It’s okay to be gay as long as you’re not really gay about it – A post about Adam Lambert and a bullshit article written by the editor in chief of 365gay.com.

17. Thomas says:

I wrote a post on a sexist school party that took place at my high school. (but it’s in German) Sexist motto, sexist flyer, everything included.

18. Rebecca says:

1. Getting Closer – My updated thoughts on having gender reassignment surgery (here’s a reminder on how to get the password for protected posts)
    2. Playing Pretend and Catching Up – I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed by transitioning lately, and these posts talk about that
    3. The Siren Call of Trans Fiction – Why do I keep going back to it!? Over and over!

19. megaforte84 says:

I griped about the assumptions Cosmo made about what women prepare and eat during Turkey Day feasting in the inevitable Thanksgiving food guilt article.

My Issues With Thanksgiving Food Assumptions

20. Erin says:

My last post didn’t go through – hmm!

Yesterday, I wrote about activist burnout, and how I feel guilty about wanting to forget about it all for a while.

21. This week in Evil Slutopia:

~We’ve started debunking the American Family Association’s Christmas boycott. It’s sure to be an ongoing effort.

~We talked about how Best Buy totally ruined the entire holiday season by daring to acknowledge a Muslim holiday in one of their ads.

~We took a minute to thank our awesome readers and commenters, and encourage the lurkers to come out and say hi, by participating in Delurking Week. (The idea came from the fabulous Blue Gal.)

~We highlighted some history being made by women in professional baseball and hockey broadcasting.

22. figleaf says:

I mistakenly tuned into the misogyny channel Twitter’s feminism keyword filter this week. I’ve been in a bad mood ever since.

Paradox: Testosterone and Anti-Feminism

Rachel Campos-Duffy: Sarah Palin Redefines (Straw) Feminism

The Merits of Subverting vs. Refuting Particularly Moronic Anti-Feminist Articles

42 Years Was A Long Time Ago, “Baby” — A Reflection on Feminism, and Republican Party Priorities, in 1968 vs. Today

Worst part? What’s bugging me isn’t so much that anti-feminism is malevolent as that it’s so infuriatingly stupid and misinformed. I thought I was doing my part to challenge anti-feminism. I was wrong.

figleaf

23. Suzan says:

I was appalled by the transbashing thread on A Room of our own and responded with: “Transphobia: The Hate Anyone can Exercise Including Feminists like Those on A Room of our own.

Transphobia deprives transkids and adults of so much that cis-sexual/cis-gender people take for granted

24. Going Rogue–talkin bout Sarah Palin.

Reflections on Jack Ruby–my 6-year-old’s memory of November 24, 1963.

25. Laurel says:

I’m a sociology student that is new to blogging, so I would love to get some views and comments… I took pictures and wrote about a local lights show where Mrs. Claus (made out of lights) was shown in a mini skirt and stilettos.

26. Male Body Shame
    I talk about the Male Body Shame I grew up with. My experience manifesting femininity has been a journey of accepting my own feminine male body and emancipating my wardrobe of its body negative male fashion

27. Samson Shawe says:

Not explicitly feminist, but I (for once) wrote a personal post– I was inspired by finding a suicide note from two years ago.

Living.

28. FW says:

Wrote a little bit about ‘slut-shaming’ and efforts to reclaim the word.

29. bug_girl says:

In the minds of science reporters, apparently sex causes women to do house work. I mean, it’s proven. In FLIES.

30. Deborah says:

I wrote a piece about how Switzerland banned the construction of minarets in their country, and how that was a detriment to religious freedom in their country.

31. Allison says:

This week I wrote about why women’s job satisfaction might be less sensitive to income. I commented on a YouTube clip about the feminization of contract teaching in universities, and how low our expectations are for gender balance on corporate boards. Finally, for something entirely unrelated, I discovered the last backyard chicken fad.