Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

The “it’s Christmas so I’m at home and not really blogging, sorry” edition. But I’m sure many of you are writing interesting things! So post a comment with a description of something you’ve written and a link.

Did everyone have a nice holiday?

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Bond says:

1. Gender Gerrymandering. On the way we draw butch/FTM borders.

2. Why I Hate Label-Hating.

2. Nancy Green says:

My ears are hurting. First Jose Feliciano’s harmless song Feliz Navidad is turned into a racist parody. Now some white boys from Dartmouth College are putting on accents to rap for Jesus, Reagan and Rand. Is nothing sacred? Is there nowhere to hide? Can anything stop the madness???

3. Bond says:

Crap, my links are broken! Take two:

1. Gender Gerrymandering. On the way we draw butch/FTM borders.

2. Why I Hate Label-Hating.

4. Renee says:

Tavis Smiley Publishes R. Kelly’s Book: In spite of having a history with underage Black girls, Smiley has decided to publish R. Kelley memories. Do we really need to hear from a rapist?

George Michael: Celebrity, Body Image and Doubts: Looking at the ways in which idealized bodies standards have influenced male celebrities.

Lou Jing Is Too Black For China’s Go! Oriental Angel: A young black girl is taunted and for to explain her existence after she enters a competition.

Challenging Homophobia On “Big Love”: Looking at the show “Big Love” and what it teaches us about gay Mormons.

On apologies, ignorances and condemnations: Looking at why an apology is meaningless unless it is accompanied by an effort to challenge your personal privilege. This is a guest post

5. Thomas says:

This week at Yes Means Yes Blog:

When Men Were Men, And Burned To Death, about masculinity, motorsports and the man who had the strength to insist on safety reform in Formula One, even when they called him less than a man. This is a long piece. It’s also, frankly, close to Jackie Stewart hagiography.

A Blow Against Silence. How is Halliburton like colleges? It tries to silence rape survivors with nondisclosure provisions. The Franken Amendment is now law, and fixed that problem for defense contractors. But we need a bigger fix that covers all institutions receiving federal dollars.

6. K says:

It was an okay holiday, it was very quiet. I haven’t even opened my presents yet! Waiting until tomorrow because some family is coming over & we’re going to open gifts then. If I had opened them on Friday I’d have nothing to do tomorrow when we’re exchanging gifts & I’d feel left out.

Anyway, things that went up at Feminists With Female Sexual Dysfunction this week:

Talking about FSD: Listening to Patients – this is a semi-guest post, meaning, I guided the direction and put the post together, but a lot of the content was provided by someone who identifies as asexual and who lives with Restless Genital Syndrome, among other things.

And also the Weekly Blog Link Roundup. This week’s roundup may be of particular interest to those living with FSD and/or vulvodynia, because I included some links relevant to those topics. There’s other interesting posts from around the blogosphere included as well, with some of my own very brief commentary.

7. Lauren O says:

All I’ve got is a brief writeup of the Princess and the Frog.

8. MomTFH says:

I am reviewing a chapter for Our Bodies, Ourselves on medical procedures and medical conditions primarily affecting women (pap smears, breast exams, endometriosis, etc).

But, I really want to take into account the needs and points of view of many women, including disabled women, women of color, women from different cultural and religious backgrounds, women who are trans, men who are trans, women who are survivors of sexual abuse and/or assault, women who work in the sex industry, women who are polyamorous, women who are gay, women with piercings and tattoos, women of size, etc.

Please submit your stories and share the link. I would like to get as many points of view as possible.

9. Nancy Green says:

Just a reminder that freedom of religion can only be taken for granted if you are the right religion. The rest of us have pay the price of eternal vigilance. But to be a proud Pagan is worth it.

10. This week at re:Cycling:
    •male menopause (guest post by David Linton);
    •the availability of the birth control pill over the counter in poor neighborhoods in London (guest post by Holly Grigg-Spall);
    •two of my co-bloggers responded to the ACOG’s new statement that “hormonal contraceptives offer benefits beyond pregnancy prevention”; and
    •for your listening and downloading pleasure, the only Christmas song that mentions tampons!

11. Sarah says:

This week, I discussed gender roles and disability with regards to being on the autism spectrum:

12. Rebecca says:

Pregnancy and PMS – I recently realized that I can gauge how other women see my gender based on how forthcoming they are with information about their periods and pregnancies.
    Pregnancies and Asymptotes – A followup, thinking about my own asymptotic approach to womanhood.
    Anniversaries and Even More Anniversaries – In the next week, I’ll have been living full-time as a woman for one year, at my current job for two years, and in therapy for three years. Wow!
    Totes Awks – An obligatory holiday post, about family awkwardness.

13. Nothing scintillating to link to at my place this week, but lots of great stuff here to read!!

Peace! Love! Motherfucking Jameson!

14. Bitter Scribe says:

This is trivial, OK, but it’s at least something most people can do easily: Why it helps to wash your recyclable food containers.

15. amandaw says:

I have one question for you. Why are we so passionate about Stupak and yet the reduction of vital home care services are passed over? Why is one seen as a core women’s issue and the other not? Why is one covered and the other not?

Why am I so damn mean? Short answer: because I have things to be legitimately angry about, and it is one style of engagement, a style that should not be shut out of the conversation.

Creative diversity. We all approach the world from a perspective shaped by our experiences in our community and our society. No one of us can escape the lens through which we view the world. And yet some people don’t see the important of a diversity of voices in the arts.

16. Gender Across Borders will be hosting the 11th Carnival of Feminists on January 6! Check here for more details.

17. thetroubleis says:

I wrote Legitimacy which is a blurb about how I felt excited at getting confirmation that I am not a malingerer.

18. The only thing I wrote this week (due, yes indeed, to being on vacation with my family!) was a “season’s greetings” post. However, because two weeks ago I was horribly ill, and last week I was actually travelling, I find that two posts I meant to self-promote earlier have slipped through the net and not been promoted at all. I shall offer those instead!

I posted a response to something that wasn’t about me, or people like me, but even so had implications – my post was more or less explaining why I wasn’t the same as the people it WAS about! You know a lot but not everything

Going off at a tangent from the same post to which that was a response, I also presented male violence: a case study based on an anecdote in a piece linked by that earlier post.

19. Atheling says:

A rant about the latest batch of contradictory and hypocritical rhetoric about marriage brought out by the British Conservative Party.

20. Becky says:

It was a slow holidays at Happy Bodies too, but I had a great christmas at home. In fact, my gifts were all so body positive, I used them as a roundup of some of our favorite posts of the year.

We also commented on V Magazine’s “One Size Fits All” shoot.

21. The Czech says:

I had a 2 weeks hiatus, but I’ve been writing again at The Czech:

The awesomest news graphic of all time!!!

“We Are Not Animals in the Hood” about the new “customized high-end specialty tour(s)” of South Central so rich white people can see how poor blacks live! It’s a lot like a safari, but instead of animals, it’s people!

A scary, scary threat to the Gender Binary: Pakistan Recognizes 3 Genders

Human Rights for Gays Are Just Too Expensive

22. Katherine says:

My holiday was super quiet and super cozy, and thus, awesome. Hope everyone else’s was awesome, whether it was quiet or not. :)

I didn’t think I’d have something to share, but I saw a kid at Target wearing a Brokencyde shirt, and I just couldn’t take it:

23. Julia says:

A feminist/anti-capitalist analysis of the movie Up in the Air and the perceived trade-offs between money and happiness.

24. Brian says:

After a bit of a hiatus, I wrote about several things I had wanted to write about earlier, including my views on a recently passed abortion-related law in Oklahoma and a conversation I had with a political insider about the possibility of gay marriage being approved by New York’s state legislators in Lots of Catching Up To Do. The post also includes a few funny, embedded videos.

25. Radfem says:

I’ve been blogging on my police department’s series of arrests involving officers. I’ve uncovered two new ones that haven’t been publicly revealed yet.

26. Peggyluwho says:

Nothing really about women’s issues, but I blogged about how I spent my Christmas and also some gifts I made.

In addition, here’s a link to my house’s annual Christmas album.

27. Elizabeth says:

My first post on our brand new (feminist!) blog: Congrats to my Equine Brethren

28. Virginia600 says:

Please excuse the disastrous HTML formatting in my last post! Here are the latest Beauty Schooled posts from last week:

Why do beauty products have to taste like forbidden foods?

At school, we learn (not so much) about parabens:

I weigh in on why our current beauty standards are a backlash against feminism — and what we can do about it:

PS. Oh yes, if you’re liking these, please do follow me on Twitter @beauty_schooled.

29. erika says:

i did have a good holiday, Thanks!