Bikini Kill lead singer and noted feminist Kathleen Hanna has just made a sizable donation to the NYU library. The library is referring to the donation as The Kathleen Hanna Papers and will make them a part of their newly announced Riot Grrrrl Collection. The “papers” are believed to contain her many zines, much of her correspondences and plenty of material pertaining to her time in Bikini Kill, as well as various other writings. This is cool for a number of obvious reasons.
The fact that we live in a world where “The Kathleen Hanna Papers” exist as part of a “Riot Grrrl Collection” in a major research library makes me happy to be alive. [I'm a little unclear why "papers" is in scare-quotes in the article, but I will overlook it because this brings me great joy that I do not want tarnished].
Time to get my Bobst alumni membership card.
- HA! by zuzu October 15, 2006
- A Day of Mourning by Jill July 24, 2007
- Amazing Women: Joanie Warner and Abby Mahler by Jill March 24, 2010
- In which the feminist science fiction/fantasy/speculative fiction fans have our fun by Chally December 6, 2009
- One Brave Woman by Jill November 3, 2005