Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Gordon
    Gordon February 25, 2010 at 4:18 pm |

“But it seems to me that what she’s doing is brave, and a pretty generous service to other women. One in three American women will have an abortion in her lifetime, but it’s not something that we usually talk about in public — or at least, that we talk about beyond political debates and platitudes. A lot of women who go in for abortions don’t actually know the details of what happens, and have been properly terrified by anti-choice propaganda.”

I’m with you, Jill. Dr. Susan Wicklund, a Montana abortion provider, titled her memoir “This Common Secret” for a reason. I heartily recommend this book to anyone seeking the details of what actually happens. It is only tangentially political, and is mostly stories about Dr. Wicklund, her extended family, her practice, and her patients.

2. PrettyAmiable
    PrettyAmiable February 25, 2010 at 4:42 pm |

This is nitpicking, I’m sure, but can we have an adjustment on this line: “Angie Jackson is live-tweeting her abortion this week, and it seems to have brought a lot of woman-haters out of the woodwork.”

They’re not out of the woodwork. These losers are always around. Most of the time, though, they’re camped out in front of a PP espousing personal beliefs they hardly hold themselves to. For these people, this shit must be like a vacation: they can woman-bash from their computers and play with the kids they haven’t adopted from some woman whose life they didn’t change for the better.

3. The Nerd
    The Nerd February 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm |

The closet: gays came out of it, atheists are coming out, and I’m glad to see that women having abortions are starting to come out of it too. :)

4. MidwestFeminist
    MidwestFeminist February 25, 2010 at 6:39 pm |

This is what the ProChoice movement needs. This is the only way that we’re going to be able to uphold Roe. We’ve let the antis dominate the conversation with their hateful rhetoric for too long.

Angie has been interviewed by ABC news, and her segment should be airing tonight – I look forward to seeing how the interview was handled. I have high hopes.

5. westwood
    westwood February 25, 2010 at 7:26 pm |

I haven’t heard about this at all up north. Regardless, everything she’s said is right.

I was also unfamiliar about the one in three statistic, which is shocking, to say the least.

6. MidwestFeminist
    MidwestFeminist February 25, 2010 at 8:03 pm |

@Westwood : If you’re interested in more abortion statistics, http://www.guttmacher.org is a helpful resource. For abortion stories, try imnotsorry.net.

It *can* be shocking to realize that many women in your life have probably chosen abortion. None of my friends or family have ever told me that they’ve aborted – but then, I have never told them about my own abortion. This is why what Angie is doing so important. The antis have been mocking those of us who’ve called her a “hero”, drawing the (incorrect) conclusion that we must think choosing abortion over parenting/adoption makes someone a hero. But what we’re actually referring to is the act of speaking out, not the act of deciding on abortion in the first place. It takes a lot of guts. Period. She’s been receiving not only slut-shaming religious rhetoric, but actual death threats.

The antis are fond of saying “If SO many women choose abortion, and they’re comfortable with that decision and haven’t suffered any mental or physical health consequences from it, then why don’t we hear from them?” But then, when they are confronted with positive abortion stories, they often fall back on personal attacks such as “She’s just looking for attention/rationalization/comfort/she’s really heartbroken but just can’t admit yet!!1111″ etc.

That’s why speaking out about it is so, so important. I hope to one day be brave enough to tell the people in my life that not only am I proudly prochoice (which they’re aware of), but I’ve actually had my OWN abortion. Unfortunately, I’m still scared. Which is why, for now, I’m sticking to internet anonymity.

7. Erica A
    Erica A February 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm |

To Jill (and Angie)–

This is maybe a little heavy, but I am a medical student and I have just finished the most horrible week of exams I’ve had yet. A not-so-little part of me felt like saying, “Fuck this,” and getting the hell out of here.

You’ve reminded me of the reasons I’m here and the reasons it’s so worth it to work so hard to stay here. Thank you.

8. chava
    chava February 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm |

Gd bless her (and I think she would).

We need more women like her. Out of everyone I know, only one woman has admitted to me that she had one. There have to be more and the silence is damaging.

9. Sara
    Sara February 25, 2010 at 9:53 pm |

I am really glad she is doing this. I haven’t at any point been in a situation where I needed to exersise this right and I’d be a little suprised if I was in the future but I might be. And there are millions of women who are growing up who will some day google “what does an abortion feel like” and I want them to see this, not some bullshit antiwoman lies.

I have decided that between this and several other things this week that I need to be more open with some young women in my life. I am planning on sitting down and talking to my little stepsister about money. Actual numbers, not playing around and generalities. It isn’t nearly as crucial or important but it is what I can offer.

10. Jay@ Dish TV Blog
    Jay@ Dish TV Blog February 25, 2010 at 11:10 pm |

I agree with what she said. I’ve never really thought about this issue like this. These are some hard choices women have to make, wow!

11. skatergirl
    skatergirl February 25, 2010 at 11:17 pm |

Thank you from me, too, Erica A. Keep at it and study hard.

12. Thessa Mercury
    Thessa Mercury February 25, 2010 at 11:53 pm |

I don’t know if I’ll watch the video (I’m kind of squeamish about any surgical procedure- if the skin is opened up, I don’t want to see it), but I think it’s wonderful that this resource is going to be out there for anyone who wants to learn about what abortion is really like. Angie is a wonderful, courageous woman for doing this and letting her voice be heard.

13. Evamaria
    Evamaria February 26, 2010 at 6:25 am |

Props to Angie, seriously! What boggles my mind the most is how many “pro-life” people simply don’t care about the woman’s life AT ALL (aside from the fact that, really, it’s no one’s business but the woman’s if she wants to go for a LEGAL abortion).

I mean, my mom is very Christian, anti-abortion (and wow, have we argued about that!) but she’s truly pro-LIFE, in all its forms (including the right of the mother to LIVE). But people threatening Angie’s son and Utah criminalizing miscarriage… There are just no words for how un-Christian this is!

@Thessa Mercury – she took the abortion pill, so there was no surgery involved.

14. Marle
    Marle February 26, 2010 at 6:57 am |

Thessa, don’t worry about the video. There’s no surgery. She took some pills, and in the video she’s talking normally and saying it’s not that bad. I’m assuming she’s having cramps or something but we don’t see anything.

15. Natalie
    Natalie February 26, 2010 at 7:08 am |

Thessa,

I think your comment illustrates why this liveblogging is important.

Not all abortions are surgical: the fact that abortion has been artificially inflated by the right into something so scary and squeamish IS the problem being addressed.

16. C...
    C... February 26, 2010 at 10:02 am |

I admire her courage. She is courageous in admitting it and because she knows she has to save herself for her young son that needs her so very much. To the people that are anti-abortionists, yeah some people suck for not taking responsibility for their actions but as a society we are also responsible for making decisions that will prolong our lives for those that need us now. This is all she did … not commit murder … she saved her life. Are you going to take care of her son if she dies … no then shut up. Birth control is a sin too … are you going to threaten her with her life for using birth control? Extremist behavior … killing or threatening to kill someone does not make you a better person or a hero of any kind.. You are just like any other terrorist if you think so! Thanks for being a brave person!!!

17. Angie the Anti-Theist
    Angie the Anti-Theist February 26, 2010 at 11:07 am |

Thanks Jill for writing this, and everyone for your encouragement. I’ve read more comments here & elsewhere than I can possibly reply to individually but Erica A. I wanted to tell you that’s one of the best things I’ve read all week, and definitely what makes the hatred I’ve experienced worth it. *Thank you!*

If anyone wants to show support to @nextthurs she’s a fellow Tweeter who started her RU486 abortion-by-pill on Thursday. She’s also using the #livetweetingabortion hashtag and if anything, she’s had it worse (because I kicked the hornet’s nest & now all the haters have descended.) Please offer her support & encouragement. Thanks for trusting women! :D

18. mizztcasa
    mizztcasa February 26, 2010 at 7:08 pm |

I agree with Sarah – #10 – I’m glad that she shared what she was going through and I wished this side of the story was shared more.

19. mizztcasa
    mizztcasa February 26, 2010 at 7:08 pm |

I agree with Sara – #10 – I’m glad that she shared what she was going through and I wished this side of the story was shared more.

20. Nicole
    Nicole February 26, 2010 at 8:46 pm |

Wow, I would never have the guts to do what she’s doing and open myself up to violently ignorant personal attacks, anonymous or not. Thanks for alerting me to this.

21. QLH
    QLH February 26, 2010 at 9:31 pm |

Thank you, Angie, for starting this, and thank you to anyone/everyone else who joins in!

22. Jovan1984
    Jovan1984 February 26, 2010 at 11:41 pm |

So far, no sighting Angie’s story on WJBF-DT. I’ll be sure to tune in this weekend in case it airs.

Thank you to Jill and Angie for this.

These people who are threatening Angie, her boyfriend and her son should all be locked up for terrorism. The entire anti-choice movement is a terrorist movement.

23. Grace Pokela
    Grace Pokela February 28, 2010 at 2:25 am |

You are very brave. Thank you.

24. maggie
    maggie February 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm |

As far as I’m aware she opted for chemical abortion. I want to thank her for her taking this to twitter and youtube. I hope she reads this website as I don’t do twitter or youtube.

I hate also that she had people calling her a whore. Ah yes that old chestnut – she should have kept her legs closed. Depressing to say the least.

This is the repsonible action of a woman who is in control of her mind and body. I had an abortion, surgical, because I didn’t want a third miscarriage. I was told by a male doctor to let nature take its course. I just about got to the operating table before I miscarried. Was never, ever going to go through that again. I’d had two children by then.

It’s all about choice and being in control instead of being controlled.