Chally is a student by day, a freelance writer by night, a scary, scary feminist all the time, and a voracious reader whenever she has a spare moment. She also blogs at Zero at the Bone. Full bio here.

1. Eugenia
    Eugenia March 1, 2010 at 7:10 am |

Although perhaps not officially, as I see it is not on your list, many individuals and organizations in Bolivia celebrate international women’s day, too–we’ll be reporting on some of these events at Eugenia de Altura!

2. Saara
    Saara March 1, 2010 at 7:35 am |

I have mixed feelings about the International Women’s Day. At least here in Finland, it’s more of a “buy roses for your wife” day, and every single year there are people complaining about there not being a Men’s Day (yeah, actually there are, 364 of them) and some celebs claiming that they don’t think feminism is needed anymore.

It’s really a day when most of the important stuff is forgotten and we can applaud ourselves of being oh-so-equal. So what if my euro is only 80 cents, look, the guys bought us ladies some cake! I don’t know if this applies to other countries as well, I’ve heard it works like this at least in Russia too.

Of course it’s important to have a day when women’s issues are being discussed, but when it comes to Finland, I wish we’d put more effort on the Minna Canth (my hero!) day, which is a new flagday and also the official day of equality-awarness in Finland.

3. C...
    C... March 1, 2010 at 8:03 am |

Fantastic. – thanks for posting all these great links.

4. Gender Across Borders
    Gender Across Borders March 1, 2010 at 10:51 am |

Thanks for the shout-out, Chally, and posting info about our Blog for IWD! -Emily

5. American Overseas
    American Overseas March 2, 2010 at 12:11 am |

Saara, you’re so right – here in the former Soviet Union, it’s the same (or worse). I’m in Kyrgyzstan now, but I’ve also lived in Turkmenistan & Russia, and it’s just all a big show about presenting women with HUGE bouquets of flowers, serving a big meal for a group of select women on state television, and everyone (men) patting themselves on the back for how much they respect their women. (We won’t even get into the fact that the most-celebrated women – the ones at that state television dinner – are the ones who produced the most sons…seem a bit hypocritical??)

Then, on March 9th, women go back to being the slaves of society; their husbands go back to their girlfriends, start drinking heavily and beating their wives again, etc. It really is a joke.

Of course here we also have a Men’s Day…OK, so it’s “Defenders of the Motherland” day, but in reality it’s Men’s Day. We buy gifts for the men and celebrate “their turn” as though, like you said, there’s not 364 other days of us taking care of them. Not to sound too horribly bitter…I have a wonderful husband who (mostly) appreciates that everyday is “men’s day”, but it disgusts me to see the show put on by the other men around here.

6. Susanne
    Susanne March 4, 2010 at 9:22 am |

Alot of people don’t realise that the majority of people hungry around the world are women… and yet these women produce 60-80% of the food! The answer to hunger, I really believe lies with women. You can also send a message of solidarity to women across the world for International Women’s Day at http://wfp.org/women