Well this is messed up. A UMass Amherst student allegedly raped an alumna of the school back in October. The alumna reported the rape to campus authorities, and apparently opted to go through the university’s disciplinary process instead of filing a formal complaint with the police. The dude confessed to the rape, and “was found responsible for sexual assault.” Which is a pretty serious crime.
His punishment: Deferred suspension. Meaning that he is allowed to continue living on campus, and he’ll graduate on time.
This is especially troubling when we know that campus rapists are often serial offenders, and when the university disciplinary process is supposed to be a way for sexual assault survivors to avoid the stress of going to court. Instead, it seems like too often the university is trying to cover its own ass and avoid a public relations nightmare instead of advocating for its students.
- Naming by Jill June 20, 2007
- Profile of a College Rapist by Jill March 5, 2010
- Is she lying about rape? Just check out her pay stub. by Jill October 16, 2007
- You know you’re kind of a jerk when you write a blog post basically mocking rape survivors. by Jill April 13, 2010
- NYPD Fakes Statistics, Downgrades Rape Charges by Jill December 16, 2010