It’s time for a group discussion, I think! I’m going to get the ball rolling with some questions, but I really want to hear your thoughts on this, maybe build a sense of what the Feministe community thinks around feminist icons – knowing you lot, hardly a monolithic sense! So, here we go.
- What makes someone a feminist icon?
- Who are feminist icons? That is, who are some feminist icons for you personally, and who do you identify as icons for the feminist movement in general?
- What are the uses and problems in having feminist icons?
- How has the picking of particular types of feminists, or feminists from particular groups, as feminist icons been problematic, and what does that say about feminism and society?
- What importance do feminist icons have – to your personal feminism, to the movement – if it is important to have them?