1. Jen
    Jen April 12, 2010 at 11:56 am |

Thank you so much for this post. I’ve shared it on the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence’s facebook.

feminist love,
    Jen

2. Sady
    Sady April 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm |

This is amazing, C.L. And, you’re right: The fact of sexual assault being made invisible, in reports, because the victim is subsequently murdered, is not one to miss.

3. ginasf
    ginasf April 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm |

It’s interesting how virtually all studies of violence against sexworkers segregate out trans sexworkers as if they’re not real sexworkers or serve entirely different populations, much less likely suffer even higher rates of violence than cissexual sexworkers. The subtext is, they are really men, therefore not as vulnerable… which is bs.

4. RD
    RD April 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm |

NYPD = fucking pigs

5. chipchop
    chipchop April 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm |

Thank you for this.

6. Nicole
    Nicole April 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm |

Thank you for the post. As a pre-op trans woman who generally always blends and is read as cis, concerns about attackers turning murderous and emergency and medical personnel reacting transphobically are always mingled with any concerns about sexual assault. Haven’t really come up with any solutions for myself to handle the possibility other then get GRS and don’t be assaulted.

7. GinnyC
    GinnyC April 12, 2010 at 1:34 pm |

Thank you. Thank you, for this post. Your words are extremely powerful, and the message needs to be heard.

8. annaham
    annaham April 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm |

This is an incredible post. Thank you.

9. Alyson
    Alyson April 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm |

It’s a major, awful lie.

Yes, heaven forbid someone be tricked into touching me without prior warning, so they can put on their medicated gloves first.

10. Donna L.
    Donna L. April 12, 2010 at 4:27 pm |

Thanks, C.L.

I have to admit that having had GRS last year makes me a *little* less afraid of things like this happening to me.

But I’d be a fool to think they couldn’t still happen.

BTW, in case you’d like to fix the spelling, Gwen’s name was Araujo. And there are those who believe that her murderers knew about her history well before the night they killed her, and that the whole repulsive “it was trans panic, I couldn’t help myself, any reasonable man would have done the same” excuse was made up after the fact.

11. Donna L.
    Donna L. April 12, 2010 at 4:29 pm |

And I hope there are no comments here like the ones on that awful feministing thread some time ago, arguing that any trans woman who has sex with a cis person without disclosing her history is committing sexual assault.

12. Katie
    Katie April 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm |

THanks for this post.

13. C.L. Minou
    C.L. Minou April 12, 2010 at 6:33 pm |

@Cara: No need to wake the uh, dead. Transphobia, especially about sexual issues, long ago ceased to be a novelty for me.

@Gina: I referenced that case? Though my version had the gender of the victim correct, if that’s what you were getting after. (And thanks for fighting the good fight at Trans Group Blog.)

@Everyone: Thank you so much for your kindness!

14. softestbullet
    softestbullet April 12, 2010 at 11:22 pm |

Thank you for writing this. It’s good and necessary.

15. Maud
    Maud April 12, 2010 at 11:48 pm |

Terrific post, C.L., in both senses of the word, sadly.

16. OuyangDan
    OuyangDan April 13, 2010 at 4:40 am |

Thank you, C.L. Terrific post.

17. thetroubleis
    thetroubleis April 13, 2010 at 11:16 am |

This is a great, very intense, very necessary post. Thank you for it.

18. ginasf
    ginasf April 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm |

CL, I didn’t see your link to the story about the San Antonio case… there were lots o’ links.

Here’s a link to this thread at Questioning Transphobia with a few additional good comments from Lisa Harney.