Events in Remebrance of Amanda González-Andújar

You may have heard of the recent murder of Amanda González-Andújar. A man has been taken into custody in connection with her murder, which is undoubtedly good news, but González-Andújar is still gone, and hers is sadly yet another name to add to this year’s Transgender Day of Remembrance list of the dead.

This Saturday, April 24, there will be both a memorial and vigil in NYC to honor and remember her.

For those who can’t read the flyer, it’s transcribed below the jump.

Vigil for Amanda González-Andújar
Saturday April 24, 2010

4:00pm – 5:00pm at
69-30 62nd Street
Queens, NY 11385
Take the M Train to Fresh Pond

On March 30, Amanda González-Andújar was brutally murdered, strangled to death in her Glendale Queens home. Come show your solidarity in remembrance of Amanda González-Andújar and celebrate the temporary victory of the capture of her murderer. Let us show that her memory will not be forgotten and that the impact of her death has been felt far and wide; that we will not rest until due justice has been done. There is still allot (sic) to do to keep our communities safe from violence and intolerance. We must defend our rights to live and express our gender identities to the fullest extent! Come join members of the GLBTSTGNCQ community and allies, her friends and family as we remember her beautiful life.

A religious vigil will be held in Amanda’s memory prior to the vigil at MCCNY Church (446 w 36th St between 9th and 10th aves) at 2:00pm, for members of the community who were unable to attender her funeral two weeks ago.

Go to the Facebook page for the event for more information.

Thanks to Robin for the head’s up.

Post has been edited to include the updated flyer.

7 comments for “Events in Remebrance of Amanda González-Andújar

1. Ami
    April 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I’m trying to keep up on my lingo…what’s GLBTSTGNCQ?

I can piece together what most of it stands for, but I’m not sure.

2. Juniper Elliot
    April 22, 2010 at 3:49 pm

The first google result for GLBTSTGNCQ goes back here : (

• April 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm

ST (or S and T) isn’t ringing any bells off the top of my head. GLBT is of course gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender. GNC is gender non-conforming. Q is probably queer, though sometimes it also stands for questioning. (And it’s not surprising that the acronym is hard to find; LGBT-related acronyms regularly have their letters shuffled around, some left out, others added in, etc. There is no one set series of letters.)

3. April 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I am the lead organizaer for Amanda’s vigil.

It means Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Two-Spirited, Trans and Gender Non-Conforming, Queer/Questioning.

Just want to point out that her address is actuall 69-30 62nd St., the old flyer is up, there has been an updated version that has been circulated. go to SRLP.org, they have the last version with correct info.

Thanks for the support,

Elizabeth

4. April 22, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Thank you for both pieces of info, Elizabeth! The post has been updated with the new flyer/address.

5. Skateaway
    April 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I feel like I should comment on this, because it’s important and shouldn’t be ignored, and yet I’m at a loss for words. My heart goes out to Amanda’s friends and family, and I hope for a day when trans* individuals aren’t the continual target of such violence.

Thank you, Elizabeth, for organizing the vigil, and you, Cara, for informing us.

6. Ami
    April 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Elizabeth—thank you both for answering my question and for organizing this event in memory of Amanda.