Boobquake 2010 is here! Along with its challenger, Brainquake!
Background info for those who don’t know… An Iranian cleric said that slutty women cause earthquakes, so Jen McCreight from Blag Hag declared a Boobquake: a day when you wear revealing garb to “fight supernatural thinking and the oppression of women.” Over on Facebook, a Brainquake was proposed, saying that women should be flaunting their intelligence and accomplishments rather than boobs. They said:
We […] are saddened that […] thousands of women have responded by committing to show off “some cleavage for ‘Boobquake’ this Monday”. This campaign has aroused the evidently insatiable enthusiasm of the web community, male supporters in particular who can’t wait to see “regular” girls and women, many their direct friends to “showing off their tits”.
Personally, I think both ideas are great. While the Brainquake’s got some slut-shaming going on, I don’t see why we can’t also brag about our accomplishments on a day when we fight oppression. I have read about the “show me your tits” responses, but I think it’s crap to use that as a reason not to partake in Boobquake. If you’re not comfortable with it, then fine, but don’t slut shame other women for it.
That said, I completely forgot about Boobquake and am wearing an outfit that reveals absolutely nothing – Boobfail.
You can participate in either of these events on Facebook or on Twitter with the hashtags #boobquake and #brainquake.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Dear Rep. Franklin: I submit my used tampon as evidence. by Jill February 25, 2011
- New York Domestic Workers Fight to Pass Bill of Rights by Cara April 12, 2010
- Demand Respectful and Accurate Reporting on Lateisha Green by Cara May 6, 2009
- Transgender Woman Beaten By Police and Threatened With Murder in Honduras by Cara February 10, 2009
- #DearJohn: The GOP Seeks to Re-Define Rape and Restrict Reproductive Health Care by Jill January 31, 2011