Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Still learning
    Still learning April 30, 2010 at 2:46 pm |

Hmm, I don’t live in America any longer so maybe I shouldn’t say anything, but this is the first time I’ve heard of Drinking Liberally and it strikes me as kinda awful that what is being described as “OUR tea party” is associated with drinking alcohol, something that a lot of people cannot do because of disabilities or religious beliefs (and other reasons). I mean, I’m sure people will go to one of these “Drink Liberally” things and get a drink other than alcohol, but it still seems to me that to have drinking as the stated activity creates an atmosphere that is not overtly inclusive.

2. Tom Foolery
    Tom Foolery April 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm |

A+ troll, would read again

3. Still learning
    Still learning April 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm |

Um, I’m really not a troll, I’m just a disabled woman who is incredibly sick of being unable to participate in almost every social event that ever comes up because I can’t drink, and is frustrated that these non-inclusive social events often blend into political activism, and is tired of being politely quiet about it.

1. Cara
      Cara April 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm |

Yeah, I mean, someone bringing up an accessibility concern that you’ve never heard of before shouldn’t really be labeled as synonymous with “trolling.” And folks bringing up accessibility concerns is something we’d kind of like to foster, not label as trollish. And while tone should never be a requirement of being heard, that is especially so when the person phrased their objection rather calmly and while giving off every indication of trying to engage in a dialogue, not attack and rant and chew folks out (all behaviors not exclusive to trolls, but generally associated with them).

4. Still learning
    Still learning May 1, 2010 at 8:42 am |

That is good to hear! I guess I am just touchy on this subject because I have been involved in too many activist-type things where going out drinking afterwards or drinking together as part of the planning for the event was basically an integral part of the process. :) Of course there is nothing problematic about simply offering alcohol, it just seemed from the quote above that drinking alcohol was the main activity.

5. Holy!
    Holy! May 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm |

They need a good publicist.