1. Mickie T
    Mickie T May 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm |

Here’s another one:

Just to refresh everyone’s memory, Puerto Rico is an American Commonwealth, and people from Puerto Rico are not Mexicans.

2. Mickie T
    Mickie T May 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  3. Holy!
    Holy! May 26, 2010 at 3:39 pm |

It would be interesting to know if those ‘leftist rebels’ were the Shining Path.

4. Haley K
    Haley K May 26, 2010 at 4:35 pm |

He’s being deported for reporting sexual assault? For fucks sake people. At least the guilty officer was charged and lost his job, which is way more than I expected.

I thought it would be a case of the accused officer deporting him to avoid charges, so this is mildly better, but still. This is a guy who is working hard, being the very definition of a good citizen, and sending money home to help his family.

5. Rose
    Rose May 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm |

I’ve always wanted to see one of those signs hacked to show a marriage proposal. I’m peeved that someone got there first to say something nasty.

6. Maria
    Maria May 26, 2010 at 7:01 pm |

I thought the signs were supposed to be funny, not nasty. I am Latina, and an immigrant at that, and I was surprised by the negative reaction.

7. sam
    sam May 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm |

I think that hacked sign is actually supposed to read, “No Latinos, No Tacos,” (as in cause and effect) which is a slogan or variation thereof that I’ve seen on several signs held by Latino protesters.

8. eloriane
    eloriane May 26, 2010 at 8:40 pm |

Actually, the signs read “No Latinos” and “No Tacos”– in that order, it sounds more like “Without Latinos, we would have no tacos, and everybody loves tacos, so don’t hate on Latinos!” It’s not actually any less of a racist stereotype but it’s marginally less depressing.

9. bluelotus
    bluelotus May 27, 2010 at 11:35 am |

Re: the man who is going to be deported for reporting the sexual assault– this bothers me more than usual, probably because I actually live in Charlotte, NC, where this happened, and I feel like I should do something about it. Does anyone here with more legal knowledge know which official in this case would have some power to do anything about this, such as grant amnesty? My google-fu has failed me this time.

10. matlun
    matlun May 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm |

@Holy: She was convicted of collaborating with the MRTA. Wikipedia has an article on her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Berenson