I don’t know why, but I’m a sucker for slideshows. Add a feminist theme, and I’m all over it. So I really enjoyed stumbling upon this collection of images of women in the military, starting way back with the American Revolution. Here are some of my faves:
According to the story that goes along with this image, this is Sharon Hanley Disher and she’s part of “the first [family] in American history to send every member to the Naval Academy” – which is pretty awesome, I say. Her story is pretty cool, I suggest you read it if you have some time.
We’ve covered the WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots) before, but what are your favorite stories of women in the military?
- Class Action Against U.S. Military On Behalf Of Sexual Assault Survivors by Jaclyn July 26, 2010
- Popular conservative website says a military coup would “resolve the Obama problem” by Jill September 30, 2009
- New Statistics on Military Rape and Reporting by Cara March 18, 2009
- KBR Bans Cell Phones and Silences Rape Victims by Cara August 8, 2008
- The Naked Truth: Security vs. Privacy by Fatemeh July 10, 2008