I don’t know why, but I’m a sucker for slideshows. Add a feminist theme, and I’m all over it. So I really enjoyed stumbling upon this collection of images of women in the military, starting way back with the American Revolution. Here are some of my faves:
According to the story that goes along with this image, this is Sharon Hanley Disher and she’s part of “the first [family] in American history to send every member to the Naval Academy” – which is pretty awesome, I say. Her story is pretty cool, I suggest you read it if you have some time.
We’ve covered the WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots) before, but what are your favorite stories of women in the military?
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Class Action Against U.S. Military On Behalf Of Sexual Assault Survivors by Jaclyn July 26, 2010
- Popular conservative website says a military coup would “resolve the Obama problem” by Jill September 30, 2009
- New Statistics on Military Rape and Reporting by Cara March 18, 2009
- The Invisible War by Guest Blogger July 3, 2012
- KBR Bans Cell Phones and Silences Rape Victims by Cara August 8, 2008