1. Sheelzebub
    Sheelzebub June 11, 2010 at 10:26 am |

Seriously? Someone called a 17-year-old girl who was beaten and raped by a much-older douchey man a “drunk cow”? It’s not like you can even say that she consented, Ilya fucking admitted to beating the shit out of her and raping her. And yet she still “deserves” it and douchey artist fuckstick “deserves” our sympathy.

Actually, the only thing he and his supporters deserve is a good swift kick to the face. Pig fuckers.

2. Trish W
    Trish W June 11, 2010 at 11:27 am |

The art should be able to stand on its own. Always.

Thank you for saying this! I wholeheartedly agree.

3. Niki
    Niki June 11, 2010 at 11:27 am |

*applause* This piece – and particularly the third-last paragraph – is probably the best rationale I’ve seen for separating the artist from the crime. Well done.

I would indeed like to buy you some champagne for your art! But only if we can share. ;)

4. Andrea
    Andrea June 11, 2010 at 11:32 am |

Second everything Sheelzebub and you, Natalia, said. And also? His art ain’t that good. So don’t worry about having to defend it ;-)

5. Niki
    Niki June 11, 2010 at 11:43 am |

*Self-correction: Separating the ART from the crime. Not the artist. Oops.

6. Watch the Toes
    Watch the Toes June 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm |

Excellent post. I get so tired of hearing about ‘special people’ getting away with murder (both figuratively and in some cases literally… OJ) just because they can make a good movie or create a work or art or excel in sports. Like you and most of the other posters have said, I can appreciate what these people have brought to their fields, but it doesn’t give them permission to destroy whatever and whomever they want. I personally believe in karma and reincarnation, so in my eyes what goes around comes around, even if it take a few lifetimes to catch up with the person.

There is one silver lining in this gray cloud – at least this rape has been brought to light and not silenced like many are. Even if it is being treated like a joke by the media and the art world, rational non-victim-blaming people know better, and like you said, can protest Ilya (even though that doesn’t bring about justice)

7. PrettyAmiable
    PrettyAmiable June 11, 2010 at 7:04 pm |

Am I the only one who actually thinks less of art when I know the artist is an asshole? It’s not just rapists. Like, there’s a book my environmentalist friend loves and recommended to me as someone who is trying to reduce my carbon footprint. But, Gingrich co-wrote it. He’s an asshole. Lots of art is created by people who aren’t assholes, so while I won’t chastise myself for having enjoyed the art of said asshole, I actively avoid it when I know of its creator. I suppose once I know, it’s because I can’t divorce it from “Oh, was he thinking about raping women when he painted this?” or “Was he writing this to detract from the fact that he’s a misogynistic, racist sack of shit?”

Also, was Fitzgerald a rapist?

8. Andrea
    Andrea June 11, 2010 at 7:15 pm |

Unfortunately, PrettyAmiable, if you’re going to pass over, at least paintings, because they’re made by misogynists, you’re not going to have much left. But I totally get you. This is why I Hate Renoir with a capital H (well that, and because I find him intolerably boring)

9. Flowers
    Flowers June 11, 2010 at 7:36 pm |

Prior to your post, I had no inclination to go to Moscow… except for, ironically, the art. Now I want to fly there just to take you out for a drink! Well said! Well said!

10. Invisible Vectors
    Invisible Vectors June 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm |

Nope. I agree with your comment. Art is subjective, anyway.

11. eilish
    eilish June 11, 2010 at 11:25 pm |

I find it difficult to seperate the art from the artist: anything you create is personal, it comes from what you know and your interpretation of what you see.
    The very first depiction of rape in a film I saw was in Polanski’s ‘MacBeth’. I was horrified by the mundanity of the act, (it occurs in the background, it’s a detail, diminished by the murder which is the essential horror) and my teacher’s confirmation that rape of women ‘was’ mundane in war. I was shaken by the revelation that women’s horrific experiences were unimportant.
    I thought Polanski had made a powerful point. Nowadays, I’m not sure he meant to.

12. sean
    sean June 12, 2010 at 1:28 am |

The relevant case study to me in these things is always Ezra Pound. Ezra Pound was one of the greatest poets of the early 20th century. Ezra Pound was also an American citizen and an avowed fascist who broadcast his support over Italian radio during WWII. The response? His poetry gets taught in every modern poetry class, and his ass got thrown in jail for treason.

(though not all that easy, in any of those classes you have to briefly go through that “we’re looking at the form, ignore the fact that it’s an ode to the greatness of Mussolini” bit)

13. Natalia
    Natalia June 12, 2010 at 2:38 am |

F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote The Great Gatsby – in which Tom & Daisy effectively retreat into their money following the death of Tom’s girlfriend and Gatsby’s death. They wash their hands of the situation, because they can afford to.

Moscow is great – both for art and other things.

14. Agnes
    Agnes June 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm |

The fact that I’m somehow “supposed” to defend Polanski because I think it’s a good movie is, on the other hand, idiotic.

This reminds me of how serious academic musicologists will often bend over backwards to try to prove that Wagner wasn’t really anti-semitic, as if they think that his music will suddenly start sounding like crap if they admit that, actually, he probably was.

15. Links of Great Interest: 6/18/10 | The Hathor Legacy

[…] Wait, so what you’re saying is that rape is ALWAYS bad? Even when it’s an artist? […]

16. eilish
    eilish June 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm |

Wagner’s music does sound like crap.

17. Jha
    Jha June 19, 2010 at 2:14 am |

…. Glued rhinestones to turtles.

I know this is an awful thing to focus on after the so-very-spot-on rant, but…. rhinestone-covered turtles.

Just.

IDE.

18. Jennifer Kesler
    Jennifer Kesler June 23, 2010 at 12:07 am |

So, I’m an artist (writer) complete with the artistic temperament and passion and all that. What crimes am I allowed to commit?

*tumbleweed rolls by*

Oh, right – I’m a woman! Different set of rules, sorry.