1. Clarissa
    Clarissa July 6, 2010 at 10:57 am |

Frida is a great artist. But we have to remember that she was in thrall to her husband and couldn’t debase herself enough in order to please him.

This is Frida Kahlo about Diego Rivera: ““Being the wife of Diego is the most marvelous thing in the world…I let him play matrimony with other women. Diego is not anybody’s husband and never will be, but he is a great comrade.” “You too know that all my eyes see, all I touch with myself, from any distance, is Diego.”

2. Shoshie
    Shoshie July 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm |

Clarissa, I don’t quite understand why loving her husband is problematic. If I understand correctly, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera both had affairs, and a rather tumultuous relationship. I’m not sure why this is problematic, from a feminist perspective. Unless you have additional information on their relationship.

3. Romelia V. Morales
    Romelia V. Morales July 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm |

‘I hope the end is joyful- and I hope never to come back.’ Frida Kahlo.
    What kind of person says this at the final end…’I hope never to come back…’ ? Her relationship with her husband was extremely problamatic. Just because you accept an extremely hurtful relationship, it does not mean it is not problamatic. Frida was in deep pain, both physically and emotionally. Her paintings tell her story…her problematic relationship with her husband, which she accepted, for whatever reason.

4. CBrachyrhynchos
    CBrachyrhynchos July 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm |

What kind of person says this at the final end…’I hope never to come back…’ ?

An atheist.

5. Lura-Jane
    Lura-Jane July 7, 2010 at 12:07 am |

She was a strong and great women who was a great artist! Why does her relationships with her husband or any other man matter shes dead! she can’t come back and fix what she did! and no one cares what she did except that she made beautiful paintings.
    Love, Lura

6. Lura-Jane
    Lura-Jane July 7, 2010 at 12:09 am |

And CBrachyrhynchos Who cares what her religous background was! lolz xD

7. CBrachyrhynchos
    CBrachyrhynchos July 7, 2010 at 12:48 pm |

Lura-Jane: Well, for two reasons.

First, religious and philosophical minorities need to have their place in history recognized.

Second, there’s a frequently voiced stereotype that atheists are fair-weather critics of religion who will adopt religion at the first sign of personal tragedy. So yes, it matters.

8. kung fu lola
    kung fu lola July 7, 2010 at 9:51 pm |

What kind of person says this at the final end…’I hope never to come back…’ ?

I would – and I am a person of strong religious faith. This world is full of people who are cruel and withholding to one another because they are ignorant and clueless, or actively malicious, or benignly self-centered. We are constantly judged on a subliminal level, based on our appearance. Those who are more beautiful are uniformly treated better, both in spiritual and material ways, than those who lose the genetic lottery. We have built a society which perpetuates inequality and injustice, where those with the least need get the most comfort, with the least amount of effort, while those who are oppressed and lacking remain crushed at the bottom with little hope or opportunity. The wealthiest and most influential societies value belligerent individualism and crass, ephemeral status symbols over true virtues like aunthenticity, loyalty and industriousness. We are chewing up our natural resources at a catastrophic rate and stripping the Earth of its fertility and overall ability to sustain life.

This dirty little circle is a miserable huddle with juuuuuust enough flecks of hope to provide sufficient feedback that it is more logical and desireable to go on living than to end one’s existence.

I love G-d and my wife and my friends and the world, and mostly, on a micro-level, I am grateful to be alive. But the big picture is a much more bitter pill to swallow. I believe that there are existences and planes beyond this one, parallel to this one, even. And I hope I never, EVER, see this bankrupt place again once I’ve escaped.