1. Niki
    Niki July 6, 2010 at 11:44 am |

“I’m white. That isn’t a race. It’s a blank slate that gives me objectivity. Unlike all you race-y, coloured people that have race because you’re not white. That means you don’t have objectivity.”

I almost love it when people say this stuff. Nothing else could so perfectly highlight the public ignorance to the default white gaze in media.

2. Mike Crichton
    Mike Crichton July 6, 2010 at 12:08 pm |

People tell her she’s white; She takes their word for it!

3. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe July 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm |

So Kathleen Parker doesn’t “see race.” That puts her in some pretty exalted company: Stephen Colbert.

Of course, the difference between them is that Colbert is pretending to be a self-assured fool.

4. Jadey
    Jadey July 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm |

Wow. The “luxury of seeing people without the lens of race” = the privilege of pretending that race doesn’t matter.

I mean, she fully acknowledges and supports the viewpoint of her colleague who tried to school her, but then transitions almost immediately into the incoherent defense of “This does not apply here because I have decided that Obama transcends blackness because we are DISTANTLY RELATED”. WTH.

A quick google reveals that apparently she’s not Obama’s only ridiculously irrelevant relation.

Genetics =/= familial bond.

5. Anisa
    Anisa July 6, 2010 at 2:04 pm |

Ok, another thing that bugs me about Parker is that SHE just gets to decide Obama’s race, that she doesn’t see him “exclusively as a black man.” Um, not really for her to decide. I’m mixed race and I don’t appreciate when people decide for ME what race I am.

6. Ostien
    Ostien July 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm |

“As a sidebar, there’s another reason I don’t see him as only black. He is my cousin.”

Well of COURSE he can’t be black because that would mean she is related to a black person, and would have to think about race *gasp!* No matter how Obama identifies. I mean pfft who cares about that? /sarcasm

I didn’t think it could get worse after that gender normative drivel in her last column. She continues to focus on how “feminine” Obama is, boiling down styles of rhetoric to archetypes of man and woman (while at the same time repeating that we are past all of that sticky gender stuff, she is only speaking of the past). She tries to place herself in the same position with regard to race. She denies seeing race just like she denies her own discussion steeped in and perpetuating normative gender stereotypes. She claims to be blind to both, or better yet claims to be above them both (it’s others who still sees those things not me!) , rather then recognizing any sort of continuing and complex social transfer of these norms.

7. Comrade Kevin
    Comrade Kevin July 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |

I think what Parker said regarding race was well-meaning at its core, but a product of ignorance more than anything else. Offensive? Certainly, but since when did you see the phrase “white privilege” or any discussion of it in the mainstream media? WE have these conversations frequently, but they somehow fail to trickle out beyond our spaces.

Still, the tone of the whole article throughout is not exactly a mea culpa.

8. Colorblind is not enough « debgpi

[...] Parker continues to be annoying, insisting she doesn’t see race (of course she does – but only her her own narrowly-defined terms). Increasingly we are [...]

9. evil_fizz
    evil_fizz July 6, 2010 at 11:59 pm |

I don’t think you need the phrase “white privilege” to identify the breathtaking racism which underscores a lot of her ideas. She’s premising the superiority of her own perceptions on the fact that she’s white. Professing colorblindness is one of the most invidious forms of racism because it allows the speaker to erase endemic and institutional racism. Which is to say nothing of the fact that “I can see things without the lens of race” seems to be a proxy for “People of color get so worked up about some things.”

Also, it’s high time to give up on the “premised on ignorance, not malice” lines of argument. You don’t have to intend malice to cause harm. (Even if the most inconsequential of those harms is me stabbing myself in the eye with a fork to avoid future Kathleen Parker columns.)

10. smmo
    smmo July 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm |

This is so well stated.

Do I detect a whiff of evolutionary psychology in Parker’s half-boiled drivel?

The cousin thing is so trivial. Shut up Kathleen Parker.

11. Grayce
    Grayce July 9, 2010 at 12:01 am |

Just one thing–when someone ignores race, and comments about a person’s actions, is that better or worse than stereotyping by race? Is it the negative space around the topic so that it still has a shape? What, actually, is the desired state here? Can a commentator comment about a president?

12. mizztcasa
    mizztcasa July 18, 2010 at 3:27 am |

Additionally, researchers also offer alternatives to the colorblindness discourse. Reason and Evans call for the white people to become “racially cognizant”, that is they need to acknowledge the role that race plays in their everyday lives. Being racially cognizant also demands a continuous examination and reinterpretation of race and how it affects our lives. It is also important to balance looking at a person as an individual and acknowledging the role their membership to a social group plays in their daily lives. [17]

When someone uses phrases such as “I’m color-blind” or “I don’t see race, I have to work hard to keep cool…and not huff and puff. I personally want to be seen and those phrases makes me feel ‘not seen’ and even more invisible. I know that person no matter ‘how down’ they are with different people of different backgrounds don’t truly know about the daily experiences of minorities….the lack of representation in all forms of media (really try to look up pictures of black girls and boys doing different everyday activities on google), the beauty standards we have to conform to, education ‘streamlining’, neighborhood segregation , etc…

Laissez-Faire Racism |wiki | http://bit.ly/9vhI5U