You’d think this was one of those mythical laws from one of those Puritan colonial states, but it’s not. D.C. police confirm that carrying a condom, while with another person, can contribute to cause to arrest for prostitution.
Making condoms a factor for arrest, discourages prostitutes (or anyone, really) from practicing safe sex — this is especially terrifying news for the District, which has the highest HIV infection rate in the U.S.
Sign the petition to keep condoms from being used as evidence.
Hat tip to Tyler for the link.
Kate is guest blogging for the week at Feministe. She’s a part-time journalist and a full-time law student. Follow her on twitter @itscompliKATEd.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Condom liberation! by Rachel June 9, 2009
- Stopping Police and DAs from Using Condoms to Convict Sex Workers by On The Issues November 14, 2011
- Arrested for carrying condoms by Jill March 5, 2013
- Caught Between the Tiger and the Crocodile by Latoya August 29, 2008
- News Flash, Pay Attention: HIV Is About Sex by Guest Blogger December 1, 2010