1. sarah
    sarah August 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm |

To me the whole Eric storyline is deeply tragic due to the fact that he is torn between his different loyalities. His first and as I would argue also strongest is his paternal love for his child Pam that is strengthened by their over 100 years old relationship . This loyality comprises also Godric and the things he taught Eric. I would argue that Pam deserves his loyality more than Sookie because she actually tries to support Eric and trusts and loves him with her whole being.
    At the moment he shows more patience with Sookie than I can understand. Capturing her is his personal ultima ratio and he does not do it to save himself which would be selfish but to salvage Pam and Sookie. Eric reminds me of the suicidal Godric, a man without much hope left. It is only due to Pam´s fierce love that he finds the strength again to make a plan that presumably could reconcile his contradicting loyalities for Pam, Sookie and his murdered family.
    While Pam understandably is shocked and hurt by his loss of hope and activity Sookie is behind redemption due to her dumbness and selfishness. Honestly, do she and Bill really think that Jason´s house is a save place? At least Bill needs to know how dangerous the situation is and that their only option is to cooperate with Eric and kill Russel together. The fact that Eric killed Talbot did not deteriorate the situation for Bill and Sookie (as Bill acussed Eric) on the contrary it saved Bill from his final death and Sookie from torture and slavery.
    Pam and to a certain extent Eric who is blinded by his feelings for Sookie have accepted that they can´t kill Russel on their own. They need Sookie and her blood. Unfortunately Sookie is unable to judge the situation like an adult and assumes that Eric only will (ab)use her without acknowledging that her own situation is more than messy if Russel stays alive and belligerent. Eric tried to find help in a peaceful way but he failed due to Sookie´s dumbness/naivety and Bill´s complete ignorance.
    I hated every single minute of Eric throwing Sookie into prison. It looked humilating and was certainly degrading for Sookie. But I have to admit that if I was in the same situation I would have done exactly the same as Eric. There is no solution for everyone (!!) without Sookie´s help. Eric might be ready to lose his unlife but he won´t allow Sookie and Bill to risk their own lifes plus Pam´s and maybe even Jason´s and Crystal´s only because of their ignorance.
    Some said that Eric behaved like a misogynist. I disagree because we saw that Eric greatest loyality belongs to Pam, a woman he does not desire in a sexual way and whom he treats as an equal. We already learned that Pam´s health is more important to him than the promise he gave his dying father and his crush for Sookie. For her he worked together with his enemy RE , flatted him, disclaimed Godric only to save his child from the magister.
    Bill on the other hand acted unbelievably paternalistic towards Sookie in this ep. Instead of discussing the situation and all (!) options with her he chose to deal with Jason “from man to man”. As former procurer of the Queen Bill has to know the power of RE and his obsession to use Sookie as a pawn in a to-be war. He must know the danger their in and the only solution: Eric´s help. by staying impassive he risks all of their lifes.

2. Fiona
    Fiona August 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm |

And this is the reason I love Tuesdays! I enjoyed this week’s episode much more than the last few, so hopefully the show finale will be decent.

Not a cat people expert, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say that was a panther. There are panthers in Louisiana, right?

Re: Jason & Tara. Yeah, Jason should have kept his mouth shut until they weren’t all hiding out from werewolves (I’m really worried that Tara running out of the house on her own is going to get into some kind of danger, girl can’t catch a break), but by telling Sookie about Eggs, he kind of screwed himself. Sookie may be a bad friend most of the time, but I doubt she was going to agree to lie to Tara about it once she knew, so he had to get on with it.

Also, the Russell-Eric-continuity-error? Not really an error. Eric thought “he” died, but “he” was just a hypothetical super-old vampire with a werewolf following who killed Eric’s family. Eric had the tattoos and a glimpse of the cloaked vamp to go by. He didn’t ID Russell as the vamp in question until he found the crown, so he could well have been hiding out in Mississippi unnoticed for decades.

3. nia
    nia August 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm |

I’m not a Wiccan, but I do know that certain herbs, like black cohosh (which Holly offered Sam) can serve as abortifacients if you take enough of them.

4. Thomas
    Thomas August 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm |

A panther is a leopard, native to Africa. Jaguars, which are more heavily built, are native to the Americas, including parts of Mexico, but I believe are unknown in Louisiana. Pumas are known the the South, including Florida and probaby Louisiana, but that didn’t look like a puma to me, and I don’t know if all black coloration is even known among pumas.

About continuity, I’m not saying that Eric knew that the vampire who controlled the wolves was also Russell, King of Mississippi. I’m saying Russell’s been King of Mississippi for some time, it seems, with a household and political connections. Even if Eric didn’t know that it was Russell who slaughtered his family and controlled the wolves, wouldn’t he have known that the King of Mississippi was the oldest vampire in the Americas, older than Godric?

5. Yoannah
    Yoannah August 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm |

re: continuity – I think we shouldn’t take it literary, it was a hyperbole expressing Eric’s deep devotion to Godric.

re: Eric and Russel’s issue – Skarsgard is amazing in showing Eric’s emotions, especially compared to Bill’s. He is powerful, smart and self-confident but wise enough to know own limitations, to realize the danger, to feel fear and try to at least take care of the ones he loves. He is scared and on edge, and we can fully feel him and empathize with him. Great playing. But he should finally stop waiting for Bill to say something but tell Sookie the “truth”. She deserves it, especially when she is so confused being for the first time among persons whose brains she can’t read! She is worse equipped than all other people, used to not knowing what others think.

re: Jason and Tara. I liked that they show Jason has some feelings, moral issues, some spine that was seriously injured. His dealing with the issue wasn’t best – but I think he told Tara in the right moment, he couldn’t deal with Tara thinking of him as a hero any extra second, he didn’t want Tara to fall for a lie.
    And I liked that he finally snapped on Bill, who really needed it.

oh, I begin to seriously hate bill. HE masters the annoying, paternalistic, selfish, lying bastard. I hate manipulative, misogynist controlling characters like his, pretending to do it all for “love” for “protection”.

re: Jesus and Lala – I Think it was really great to help Lafayette discover his own heritage of power women, whose power he needs to find in himself now. Both of them are descendants of sorcerers/witches and it was shown in a positive way, which I really like. There was a lot of respect for traditional healing, shamanism, minority-oriented beliefs. It’s rich, real and true – not silly, flat or evil. I am looking forward to learn more about that.

6. rae
    rae August 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm |

Admittedly, it seems a bit far-fetched that he wouldn’t know that he was older than Godric, but someone so old probably has a lot of enemies, so he may not have advertised it to people he did not think he could trust. Maybe. But I think that Eric only began suspecting Russel of killing his father when he found out he was employing werewolves. Eric probably didn’t interact with Russel a whole lot before this season, since he assumed he (as in the mysterious vampire who killed his family, not yet identified as Russel) was dead.

7. Roxie
    Roxie August 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm |

The “cat people” that you so hilariously refer to (cause now I have visions of a dancing Mr Mistoffelees) are “were-panthers”.

There were some hints of Sam’s grifter past last season. In a flashback he slept with Maryanne & stole her money, but nothing as dark as this.

Also, I loved the interaction between Bill & Jason. Jason telling Bill that he can’t control Sookie (and that’s something Bill should’ve known by now) and rescinding his invitation.

8. Michele
    Michele August 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm |

Sally said that Arlene and Terry deserve to have a kid of their own because they are “nice characters” but lately Arlene has been very rude by provoking Jessica all the time, so she hasn’t been winning any points with me. Even so, I agree that Terry wasn’t doing the right thing by coercing her to have the baby she is so clearly distraught about.

I’m not sure about Holly, so far she seems to have good intentions. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let her be a “good witch” since so many of the supernatural characters newly introduced have been major villians.

Jason’s idiocy has not ceased to amaze me. Tara has just been getting shit on this entire season and I don’t know that she’ll be allowed to have any time to overcome it all. I really don’t see how she is going to amount to anything other than a mental breakdown after all she has been through and the minimal support of her bff who can read minds but somehow didn’t take her seriously until she straight up told her she had been kidnapped, abused, and raped. A person without fairy powers could have seen that something really serious had happened.

9. Kristin
    Kristin August 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm |

I was screaming at Jason not to tell Tara right then and there. Of course I knew he would.

It seemed to me that the show turned a corner toward portraying the vampires as pure evil – with Bill lying to Sookie, Jessica embracing the part of her vampire nature that kills human beings, and Eric coming right out to Sookie as the guy who can hold her prisoner as he pleases. I guess you can say the human beings are coming off just as badly – maybe we’re just in a Flannery O’Connor story, where nobody is the moral agent. But I miss the moral ambiguity from the first episode of the first season, when the violence went from humans toward vampires.

10. Thomas
    Thomas August 24, 2010 at 4:53 pm |

Right now, I think this is a story without a moral agent. Tara’s as close as we have, but she’s also become a bigot. She has her reasons, a lot more than Arlene does, but they hate vampires as a class. Jason is a halfwit with no impulse control, Bill is a lying sack, Eric is playing a revenge game and hoping it doesn’t kill everyone he loves. We’ve just been informed that Sam has murdered for money and revenge. Lafayette could move into that role, which would be interesting given the mercenary path he’s been on since we’ve known him.

11. Yoannah
    Yoannah August 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm |

@Thomas – I agree, I don’t think there was supposed to be one. The closest to the pure hero character would be the ordinary people, good deep down, but making sometimes bad choices trying to navigate really messed up situations. I think Sookie is supposed to be the one who is more or less ordinary person, brought up to be a good person, who went through a lot of crazy things that forced her to make choices she might regret later.

I find eric pretty close to that as well. He is cynical and selfish on the outside, as that’s what living for thousand years required of him, but inside he still has a pretty strong moral radar. He’s messing up as well, trying to do too much by himself and not explaining anything to anyone… sookie might be willing to help him in a plan to kill Russel, it’s in her interest as well, but he doesn’t trust her, he just wants to do it all by himself, choosing explanations for later.

12. Li
    Li August 24, 2010 at 6:04 pm |

Thomas, some but not all panthers are leopards. In South America, “panther” can refer to a black jaguar, which is fairly rare but not unknown.

Wikipedia also tells me that there’s a species of cougars called “Florida Panthers”, which gets us geographically closer, but cougars are almost never melanistic, and have a different looking face to the cat Crystal shifts from.

13. GinnyC
    GinnyC August 24, 2010 at 6:25 pm |

14. harlemjd
    harlemjd August 24, 2010 at 7:03 pm |

eh, I’m not so down on Terry for his reaction because all he saw was how upset Arlene was about telling him that the baby was Rene’s. Seeing that, without her reveal to Holly, which was much calmer, it would be hard to know how much of what she’s saying is about fear of Terry’s reaction to finding out she’s pregnant by another man (and if that were what was going on, his reaction would have been what she was hoping for), and how much is because she does not want this baby, full stop. If he doesn’t realize the difference and act supportive, he will stop being one of my favorite characters, but for now I can see how he could misread Arlene’s real feelings and needs.

15. Ebonlock
    Ebonlock August 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm |

As a Wiccan I’m watching the development of Holly with some very real interest. I had my suspicions when I first saw her and Arlene talking and was delighted with the reveal in this week’s ep. I will say that when she outed herself and Sam immediately muttered that Merlotte’s was a religion-free zone I was doubly delighted, one because I love that Sam decided his bar was going to be neutral space, not an easy thing to declare in the deep South; and two because the writers acknowledge Wicca as a religion. It’s been incredibly annoying to see one depiction of “Wicca” after another in film and tv treat it along the lines of a college major – read the books, say the words, cast the spells and you’re a Wiccan.

I will say the one scene that actually made me crow aloud was Jason rescinding his invitation to Bill and kicking him out of the house. Of course he also made me want to beat my head against the wall when he blurted out the Eggs thing to Tara at the worst possible moment. On the other hand it is classic Jason, stupid, selfish and yet naively honest at the same time.

I definitely thought Jesus had a background in voodoo after his comments on Lafayette’s “altar”, but I’m still not entirely clear what magical school he’s supposed to belong to. Lala referred to him as a Shaman, I think he said his grandfather was a “sorcerer” and his grandmother appears to have been a kind of hedge witch/wise woman. I too am hoping he can help Lafayette find enough of his own power to get out from under Eric’s control. I like the mighty Northman as much as anyone else but he’s a real douche of a boss.

Speaking of, Pam officially won my heart with her snarky, “Blah, blah, vampire emergency, blah” line. Seriously, I’m going to be quoting that for…quite possibly the rest of my life.

16. Roxie
    Roxie August 25, 2010 at 3:47 am |

I have to agree with Yoanah about Jason’s reveal; it was the right time. He just couldn’t let Tara believe that he was her hero and he couldn’t live with her affections. Nor did he want her to believe what happened between them was b/c she was fucked up. To let her go one believing & feeling these things about him when he had shot & killed the man she loved, he just couldn’t stand for a second longer. Jason may not have a good…vocabulary, but he does know right from wrong (even when he’s doing the latter). In that moment I believe he really did, not only right, but what was best for Tara.

17. Daisy-Boo
    Daisy-Boo August 25, 2010 at 3:49 am |

GinnyC: Why is the Hotshot community white? I can’t think of any area with native panthers where the native peoples would be white. Maybe wereanimals don’t work that way, but it’s been bothering me since we found out Crystal is a werepanther.  (Quote this comment?)

*This comment contains info from the books*

18. pep.
    pep. August 25, 2010 at 9:33 am |

Daisy-Boo:
    *This comment contains info from the books*In the book series, Hot Shot is a small insular community where everyone is related to one another. They keep to themselves and rarely allow outsiders in. In fact, this becomes quite a problem for them as time goes by. The TV series does a severe injustice in their portrayal of the people of Hot Shot and I’m really annoyed about that.They are were-panthers in the book but no context is given to that – there is no exploration of why they’re panthers, as opposed to any other animal. I think that’s because the book series has several were-animals and it would probably distract the reader to explore all their origins.

19. Daisy-Boo
    Daisy-Boo August 26, 2010 at 5:00 am |

pep.: Also, in the books, it never says that they are black panthers, so I just assumed “panther” meant “Florida panther” (i.e. puma).  (Quote this comment?)

That’s a good point. I hadn’t noticed that no reference was made in the books to what colour the were-panthers are. I automatically assumed that the Hot Shot weres are black panthers because that is the colour I associate with the animal.

20. pep.
    pep. August 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm |

Daisy-Boo:

Yeah, I was lucky to have read the Wikipedia article recently. Otherwise, I wouldn’t even have known that panthers are not a species at all.

21. Kathy
    Kathy September 2, 2010 at 11:03 am |

AAKKKKK! Where is your round table on “Fresh Blood???” I anxiously await!