Lauren founded this blog in 2001.

1. beth
    beth August 31, 2010 at 3:57 pm |

I think earlier seasons have set up how Eric will survive. Bill was able to survive considerable sun exposure during the season finale of the first season and healed because he was a relatively young vampire; when Godric committed suicide, he said that he’d go up like paper because he was so old. I predict once the effect of Sookie’s blood runs out for Russell, he’ll burn up first and there will still be time to save Eric.

To echo y’all, I’m so sick of the manipulation Sookie experiences by Eric and Bill. She is pivotal to every plan, and every plan is made without her. I had assumed she would be a much more powerful force in the series after the first two seasons. Unless this is setting up something for future seasons… a commitment to develop her power, to throw these abusive fucks out of their lives… anything, Sookie has been my biggest disappointment this season.

And holy hell. I love Pam.

2. beth
    beth August 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm |

And regarding Arlene’s abortion… I kinda like how they’re depicting the process. I think a lot of women say they would never consider having an abortion until they experience an unwanted pregnancy. I’m glad to see someone grappling with the decision on screen, and with support and without judgment.

3. Dan
    Dan August 31, 2010 at 4:45 pm |

“I predict once the effect of Sookie’s blood runs out for Russell, he’ll burn up first and there will still be time to save Eric.”

That was my thought exactly. He’s playing a game of chicken with the sun, essentially.

4. William
    William August 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm |

or we’re going to discover that his mother isn’t a madwoman, she’s a shaman too.

Those two things aren’t necessarily (or even historically) mutually exclusive. Mad folks and shamans overlap far more often than not, especially when you’re talking about the kinds of communities True Blood is drawing their idea of magic from. Not everyone defines the mad as sick, insignificant, and powerless. Hell, we didn’t even do that in the west until leprosy disappeared and we needed someone else to fill the excluded social space and soak up society’s projections.

Specifically in the show, though, Jesus has already made the comment that he doesn’t see all people with psychotic disorders as crazy, that sometimes they see more than “regular” folks, and that he thinks Ruby Jean is definitely in that category. We’re going to see more of Ruby because someone is going to have to step in to teach Lala and have an early skirmish with Jesus’ grandfather.

As for Jesus and V, I can’t see this going well. He liked it too much and Lala saw a bit of Jesus’ grandfather in him when he was begging to do it again. The show seems to be suggesting that the quick and dirty left hand leads to corruption, and V is a bit too much of a supercharge for the writers to let any good come out of that thunderbolt.

Also, Pam is awesome and is going to have a wonderfully dismissive one-liner about Eric being stupid and reckless when she saves the day and drags his smoking ass back into the bar after Russel goes up like flash paper/is weakened to the point of being defenseless and she just stakes him and calls it a night.

5. KatherineM
    KatherineM August 31, 2010 at 7:06 pm |

Re Jessica turning Hoyt–Jessica is still a teen, human years, and an infant in vampire time. Hoyt would be her ‘progeny’ if she turned him. Is she ready to ‘raise a vampire’? Esp. since Bill has spent almost ZERO time teaching her as her maker, after also dumping her with Eric and Pam her newborn first two weeks of vamp life, and telling her she was ‘released’ from him without providing home or support for her. At least she refused to leave. Talk about an unwanted child! I guess that makes her prime to become a teen mom. I suppose if you want the ultimate dysfunctional vampire family–Lorena/Bill/Jessica/Hoyt.

Compare that with Godric/Eric/Pam, and the many and loving years of Godric gave Eric, and Eric has given to Pam. So I guess I don’t understand how the years of family relationship/caring between these three is so significant to the show, but somehow Jessica, a human teen and an untaught vamp infant, is ‘ok’ left totally on her own, and OK to engage in adult behaviors.

6. BradMillersHero
    BradMillersHero August 31, 2010 at 7:57 pm |

I too am annoyed by their treatment of Sookie. I haven’t read the books, but she has definitely changed from being a somewhat interesting character in the first season to being a kind of side note in a story about Russel being crazy and Eric being hot. Bill cheated on her and attempted to kill her; why doesn’t she break up with him already? She’s turned into a very weak character, and with so few regular female characters, that’s quite a loss. At least we still have Jessica, although I’d like to see her do something besides Hoyt.

And Bill needs to go, asap. He’s so whiny.

7. BradMillersHero
    BradMillersHero August 31, 2010 at 9:35 pm |

8. Moretta
    Moretta August 31, 2010 at 11:02 pm |

Godric said that at his age it would take no time for him to burn in the sun.

BradMillersHero: Re: to Dan and all- is Russel really going to fry in the sun before Eric does? I thought the reason Godric burst into flame so quickly was because he didn’t drink blood.

9. Moretta
    Moretta August 31, 2010 at 11:09 pm |

There was a very powerful moment in an earlier episode when Arlene admits that she doesn’t want to be pregnant and it dawns on her that she doesn’t have to stay pregnant. Even if that was only a fleeting sentiment, Carrie Preston made us see Arlene’s realization, and then the character’s profound relief.

10. rae
    rae September 1, 2010 at 12:19 am |

First episode we saw Sookie kicking ass and taking some brutal punishment. I mean, Bill healed her, but after that she appeared to get over it and move on to a never-ending sequence of – pardon my French – crazy shit. I think if I got my ass beat like that and lived, I’d have some psychological issues. Add in all the abuse she’s taken since then, and she could be a ticking time bomb. She’s dealt with physical, emotional, and psychological trauma, not to mention having little time to cope with the discovery of all the weird new creatures around her. The rest of the world’s not even close to being used to vampires, let alone anything else. She’s always known that some things in the world defy logic because of her own abilities, but that still doesn’t make it easy to adapt to shifters, faeries, maenads, werewolves, or even the existence of other telepaths, etc. Or even finding said shifter naked in your bed. I haven’t read the books and really don’t know how closely they intertwine with the show (though they’re on my already-too-long list) so this may be just wishful thinking on my part, but I can almost see Sookie finally losing it in a homicidal manner sometime soon. The way this season has been though, I can’t see the writers going for it :(

11. beth
    beth September 1, 2010 at 11:30 am |

Oh. And the scene during which Bill told Sookie about all the ways he was better than Eric? Made me want to stab him in the face. Then the heart. Whiny, entitled tool.

12. William
    William September 1, 2010 at 4:17 pm |

Personally, I’m going to be really disappointed if they go down the “disability as superpower” path with Lafeyette’s mother, largely because they’ve managed to give a sympathetic, reasonably accurate but not too sappy depiction of schizophrenia thus far, and that’s rare.

I’d probably feel a lot better if they hadn’t actually used the word “schizophrenia”.

I’m actually….really glad that it looks like they’re going in that direction. Yes, the depiction of Ruby Jean’s madness has been sympathetic and realistic, but that hardly changes the fact that the way we deal with madness in the west is pretty fucked up. Ruby might be “disabled” because of her madness, but a good deal of that “disability” stems not from the fact that she doesn’t experience the world in the same way as everyone else but from the fact that the world isn’t designed for her. A lot of other cultures deal with people who see things differently in ways that don’t automatically exclude people the way we do. Hell, there is some pretty good evidence that the effects and course of schizophrenia are significantly lessened in some parts of Africa because mad persons have a place in that culture. Madness doesn’t have to be (though it sometimes can be) a disability because of it’s mere presence, it becomes an automatic disability because society has made the decision to treat the mad as worthless, senseless, dangerous burdens who should be neither listened to nor allowed into polite society.

So hey, if they take Ruby Jean and decide to make her a supe (like pretty much all of the central characters in the show) I’m all for it. We need more depictions of disabled folks as being something other than powerless. We need more depictions of madness as something that can give as well as take. If the writers decide to do that by drawing on a culturally appropriate mythos about the relationship between madness and magic, all the better.

Besides, one doesn’t have to look much further than Van Gogh, Blake, or Nietzsche to see that there are times when madness comes pretty damned close to being a super power even in our hyper-rational, post-enlightenment culture.

13. sarah
    sarah September 1, 2010 at 6:08 pm |

Wow, I love your approach on madness that also takes into account that creativness can be a possible result of mental illness. To me great artists like Virgina Woolf, Hölderin or Bulgakow further prove this point.
    Concerning Arlene I am not sure of my feelings. I live in a country were abortion ceased to be a controversial issue even before I was born. To me the right of a woman to interrupt a pregnancy is not disputable. However I also know that an abortion can have mental and physical consequences thus I´d recommend every woman to think extensivly about it and to reflects her motivations before she makes her final decision.
    I have the feeling that Arlene tells herself a lie when her motivations are concerned. It is more than unlikely that the child of a serial killer surely will become a serial killer, too. I assume that her dreams simply represent her subconsicous voice telling her to cut off all strings to her former life with a murderer. Presumably there is also much irrational shame for not “seeing the truth” and for sleeping with a monster who killed friends and co-workers of hers.
    Why do I think that an abortion might cause mental problems for her under this circumstances?
    Arlene is portrayed as a bigot who condemns abortion. I´d argue that only the demonization of the fetus allows her to do it anyway. It is some kind of an moral loophole for her, an ideology like “do something bad to prevent something worse”.
    If she finally will come clear about her real motivation (that she simply does not want to have a child of a man like René which is btw completly understandable to a more liberal person) she might suffer a real break down because she is not the kind of person who actually can deal with personal transgressions like that. That also might be the reason for her *****SPOILER*****
    turning into a religious fundamentalist like it was shown in the books.

14. spencerjonesy
    spencerjonesy September 1, 2010 at 7:02 pm |

My fave part was where Pam sprayed Bill in the face with colloidal silver.

There’s an interesting article on vampires and colloidal silver here: