Guest Bloggers are most welcome to diversify the range of views and experiences presented on this blog. The opinions of Guest Bloggers do not necessarily represent other bloggers on Feministe: differing voices are important to us. Readers are cordially invited to follow our guidelines to submit a Guest Post pitch for consideration.

1. Hot Tramp
    Hot Tramp September 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm |

Interesting info here. The self-administered test is particularly cool.

2. Roschelle
    Roschelle September 2, 2010 at 8:15 pm |

“Imagine if we could change that. Imagine if we could make a serious dent in the deaths and morbidities that are caused from botched abortions, from unhygienic surgeries, and from unskilled providers.”

informative and thought provoking post. the sad reality is we can change it. the powers that be need to lift the veil of controlling a woman’s body and her right to chose from their eyes and start implementing some of these practices.

3. Miss S
    Miss S September 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm |

I suppose you would need a prescription for this? Personally I think this would benefit women from an emotional perspective. It’s often a hard enough decision, and being able to do this at home makes it far more personal and private.

And it would cut down on cost tremendously.

4. William
    William September 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm |

And it would cut down on cost tremendously.

Which alone makes me despair at the energy the forced birth lobby will put into fighting it. Even with all their notifications, statutory language, ultrasounds, and ridiculous definitions of person hood the greatest barriers to access are cost and location.

5. Cat
    Cat September 3, 2010 at 9:42 am |

This is interesting to me because when had an abortion about four years ago it was a medical abortion and l took the pills at home. I was in a very progressive part of a very progressive state and l did have to pay out of pocket but l remember that l only had to go in twice-because there was some strange “think it over” law. There may have been a followup visit that I skipped because of cost.

It seemed a totally reasonable way to do it, to me at the time, but obviously I had an advantage already, living a short bus ride from a clinic. I don’t know what I’d do now. l don’t think there’s a Clinic any closer than two hours.

6. Wednesday
    Wednesday September 3, 2010 at 11:56 am |

This was a really informative article. I’d known that confirming the pregnancy is ended is an important part of “aftercare” – I’m excited to hear about the effective home tests. Reducing the number of trips cuts down on cost and on other barriers to abortion access (time off work, childcare, travel, hiding the trip from a judgmental neighbor or abusive partner), and puts more control of the situation in the hands of the person having the abortion.

7. Mightydoll
    Mightydoll September 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm |

Honestly, I had a medical abortion a few years ago (combination type) and found it to be a terrifying experience. I am quite educated about my body and reproductive system, and have given birth naturally twice, as well as worked as a birth attendant (so I know how much pain and blood is to be expected) and it was still scary to measure the size of clots passing, weather the pain (even with T3’s) and be sure I wasn’t haemmhoraging or passing my uterus. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone with any possibility of going to a clinic. I recognize my privilege here, (I live in a large Canadian city with plentiful and supportive free access to abortion) but having also had a clinical abortion, the latter is vastly preferable, and increasing access to and awareness of a supported option seems, to me, to be far more beneficial to women’s overall health and to reducing the trauma of abortion.

8. Links – 17 « To My Potential Allies
    Links – 17 « To My Potential Allies September 26, 2010 at 6:55 pm |

[...] “Making Outpatient Abortion Services a Reality.” According to EngenderHealth’s Maternal Health Task Force’s website, ‘Every minute, a woman dies from complications related to childbirth or pregnancy. [...]