Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. andrea
    andrea January 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm |

They’re all laughing alone because as we all know from the Simpsons “You don’t win friends with saal-ad!”

*congas out of thread*

2. gretel
    gretel January 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm |

This is amazing.

I hope there will a follow-up post with women winking while eating yogurt.

3. evil_fizz
    evil_fizz January 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

I just found this on twitter. Dancing with cleaning products should be next.

4. Nahida
    Nahida January 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm |

This reminds me of Sarah Haskins!

5. Manju
    Manju January 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm |

Why no stock photos of Women Laughing Alone While Drinking Whiskey from Bottle?

6. Ashley
    Ashley January 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm |

Manju: Why no stock photos of Women Laughing Alone While Drinking Whiskey from Bottle?  (Quote this comment?)

We should start that trend.

7. Lottie
    Lottie January 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm |

I don’t get it somehow. Is it something about how they are women doing the stereotypically-female thing of eating salad? In that case, why is it funny?

8. Tony
    Tony January 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |

It only looks like salad on the outside ;)

9. Marie
    Marie January 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm |

OMG–that is hilarious.

Try googling “women eating salad” and then “men eating salad,” and note the higher number of women alone than men alone. Many of the photos of men also had women in them.

Also interesting is “women laughing carrots” or “women laughing cucumbers! You’d think they’d died and gone to heaven! The women eating salad look positively depressed in comparison.

10. javier sandoval
    javier sandoval January 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm |

“to get desired effect sprinkle 4 tsps cannibis onto salad.
    toss.”

11. Nahida
    Nahida January 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm |

Lottie–It’s an example of ridiculous advertising and the stereotypes reinforced by the media. They’re not selling salad. They’re trying to sell happiness. Women love happiness. Women who eat salad are happy women! Proper women eat salad, and they are happy when they do it.

The next time I take pictures I’m going to shout, SALAD FACE!

12. oldlady
    oldlady January 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm |

Totally with you, Manju.

13. EAMD
    EAMD January 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm |

I mean, that was exactly how I looked when I ate my salad at lunch.

14. David
    David January 4, 2011 at 1:51 am |

Nahida:
    The next time I take pictures I’m going to shout, SALAD FACE!

I wonder what the patriarchy will do next to control us. SMILING MEN AND CAKE??? >:(

No sir. I WILL NOT HAVE YOUR CAKE. I WILL NOT EAT IT TOO.

15. Soren
    Soren January 4, 2011 at 3:15 am |

Wow – I am slightly freaked out. I’ve seen those over the top images before, but a handful of them really drives home how artificial it is. Its straight in th uncanny valley.

16. UnFit
    UnFit January 4, 2011 at 5:21 am |

Granted, there are no grey hoodeis in the salad photos, but a lot of the outfits are close enough.

17. PharaohKatt
    PharaohKatt January 4, 2011 at 8:45 am |

That’s right David. Mocking advertising is exactly the same as saying THE PARTIARCHY IS OPRESSING US WITH SALAD ZOMG!!!!

18. PharaohKatt
    PharaohKatt January 4, 2011 at 8:49 am |

Sorry for the double post.
    I think this picture is fairly apt, no?

Image Description: A white woman holding a Marino glass with a slushy pink alcoholic beverage in it. She is smiling.

19. Bushfire
    Bushfire January 4, 2011 at 10:23 am |

“To cite Sarah Haskins: Yogurt eaters come from all races, but only from one soceoeconomic class: the one that wears grey hoodies.”

“It says, ‘I have a master’s degree, but then I got married’ ” (and ate salad).

20. April
    April January 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm |

Ashley:
    We should start that trend.

I’m in.

21. outrageandsprinkles
    outrageandsprinkles January 5, 2011 at 2:13 am |

Oh crap-I am wearing a gray hoodie right at this moment! I have no desire to eat salad, or yogurt, while laughing though. I am, however, about to do the dishes while skipping, and then maybe eat a cupcake while sobbing uncontrollably. Where is my ad campaign?!

22. manboobz
    manboobz January 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm |

Those gals are up to something, I know it.

23. Bushfire
    Bushfire January 6, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

Those gals are up to something, I know it.

Maybe captions need to be written underneath the pictures to show what they are thinking?