I do think there’s something to be said for creating women-only spaces, under certain circumstances and for certain purposes. Twisty at I Blame the Patriarchy has decided to make her blog all-woman all the time, and received some immediate push-back in the vein of “But what about trans women?” To which I would reply, “Did you see the part where we said this is a women-only space? By definition that includes trans women.” And yet there still seems to be some debate about this? (I use the term “debate” loosely here, because that term implies some sort of actual good-faith argument from two or more sides, and that’s not really what’s happening here). Twisty takes on said “debate,” and it is a thing of beauty. You should read it. I’m a little iffy on the Dworkin bit at the end (Point 3 in particular), but overall it is an excellent post. Just don’t read the comments — they are extremely bigoted and may be triggering.
Thanks, Lauren, for the link.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Germaine Greer Paints a Portrait of Transphobic Feminism by Cara August 22, 2009
- The Angry Tranny: Tone Arguments and Trans Women by Cara March 29, 2010
- Trans Panic Defense Underway in Trial for Angie Zapata’s Murder by Cara April 20, 2009
- By Any Other Name by Cara April 3, 2009
- About Your Issues… by piny April 10, 2009