Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Nicholas
    Nicholas February 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |

“Sure, Murtha had been there forever, but was it really necessary for his successor, wrapped in his mantle, to come out to his right?”

Well, since Critz won the 2010 November election by 2,886 votes out of 185,226 votes cast (or 1.5%), I’m going to say the answer is probably “yes.” Unless, of course, you can show me some polling where the positions you’ve criticized him for taking are popular with his constituents.

And I’m with you on the the merits of your arguments, but unless the voters of a particular district agree with your arguments and are willing to turn out to the polls in support of said arguments, a candidate will lose.

2. Morgan
    Morgan February 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm |

So, if I’m understanding this right, ‘pro-life’ can now mean…
    a. You are okay with leaving pregnant women to die.
    b. You are okay with people keeping deadly weapons in their homes with minimal restrictions.
    c. You are okay with people dying for lack of a decent healthcare system.
    d. You are okay with sticking your head in the sand over climate change, which may well end up killing more people in the long run than any of the above.

Right.

3. Lauren
    Lauren February 15, 2011 at 10:27 am |

@Morgan (see above) – I just wanted to tell you that I am also completely appalled at what is happening with these issues, and I love the way that you break it down to be so simple and straight forward!

4. Jim
    Jim February 15, 2011 at 11:29 am |

Morgan: Right.

You got it, Morgan.

This is my take on it, form having watched this shape up for 40 years: the whole anti-abortion (to use the most lenient term I can think of) position is a membership badge for a whole body of resistance to all the social changes of the 60/70s and probably really even of the New Deal. Anti-abortions is essential a reaction to the whole Sexual Revolution, all of it, that really got broad-based with the Pill. But that hardly explains all the energy. It’s also about anger over the destruction of Jim Crow, about reacting to all those furrin white ethnic types moving into the middle class while we all get left behind, and there’s lots more.

Look at the ethnic and regional distribution of this sentiment. Not that there aren’t strange bedfellows, because those furrin white ethnic types have their own authoritarian impulses that align soime of them with the anti-choice crowd – see also Pat Buchanan, Sean Hannity, Santorum….all the paleocons. But in the main the pattern holds. Look at exactly where the labor movement hit a brick wall all those years ago, and why.

5. Nicholas
    Nicholas February 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

@Morgan.

You crafted the message about as awesomely as it could have been done. Now we’re going to have to repeat it loudly and proudly for the next decade or so:

Dear women: these legislators want you to die.

And then we’ll have to make sure they actually go vote.

6. Yerry Seinfeld
    Yerry Seinfeld February 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

“None of the bills he’s sponsored thus far have been enacted by Congress.”
    – HR 3 is just a way of getting attention. It would never get past a Democratic Senator and President. To paraphrase Chris Rock, this is like getting mad at a tiger for doing tiger stuff. Pro-lifers are just doing what got them elected, and voting for pro-choice candidates is more important than worrying about these dead end bills.

7. natalie
    natalie February 18, 2011 at 11:13 am |

I have a sneaking suspicion that all the HR3 stuff is propaganda used for inciting hyperbole and distracting us from actual issues (on both sides right and left). So… my question is… I understand standing against these things, but likelier than not they won’t pass. So why partake in hyperbole and propaganda? Also… isn’t it interesting that the female body is the setting for this propaganda & hype? I’m curious as to what people think about that.