Events Responding to House’s Attacks on Planned Parenthood

A poster featuring a basic outline of a gender non-specific human body, colored in with a yellow-brown shade. Text on the body's face and chest reads "We have a voice; We have a choice. Walk for choice; Sat., Feb 26"By now, you’ve inevitably heard all about the U.S. House’s vote to block all funding to Planned Parenthood. This is a major threat to reproductive health, and would result in devastating cuts that would limit access to all kinds of care from pap smears to STD tests to cancer screenings to birth control. This is a direct attack on the rights and health of women and trans* people.

On Saturday, February 26th, Planned Parenthood NYC is holding a Rally for Women’s Health in Manhattan from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. More information is available at their Facebook page.

Immediately prior to that event (and partnering with the Planned Parenthood rally) is a Walk for Choice event. The Walk for Choice is taking place in a slew of cities all around the country, with a couple even outside the U.S., and you can find a complete listing of events here.

Please feel free to leave additional information about other events related to choice and the recent attacks on Planned Parenthood in the comments.

This entry was posted in Health, Reproductive Rights and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Events Responding to House’s Attacks on Planned Parenthood

1. Jess says:

There’s a rally in Portland, Oregon tonight at 5 PST, at the PP on MLK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165000120217356
    Other PP regions are having rallies too.

2. Jill says:

I’ll be there! Hope other Feministe readers will also come.

3. paraxeni says:

As I’m here in the UK I can only offer my unwavering support of my sisters and brothers in the US. Those of us outside your borders are horrified that this is not something out of the Onion, but a real and deadly battle that nobody should be forced to fight.

Best of luck.

4. tinfoil hattie says:

This is a direct attack on the rights and health of women and trans* people.

Isn’t it an attack on anyone who is sexually active, or wants to be? Don’t men use birth control and have risks for STDs?

5. tinfoil hattie says:

This is a direct attack on the rights and health of women and trans* people.

6. Claudette Tribuzio says:

When are women going to stand up as a group to these (old) men who are still trying to keep women in the 19th century. Write your congress person NOW!

7. LoriA says:

I actually had a nightmare last night about PP closing. I need to get me to one of these rallies.

8. Cara says:

tinfoil hattie: Isn’t it an attack on anyone who is sexually active, or wants to be?Don’t men use birth control and have risks for STDs?

Of course, cis men use Planned Parenthood’s services. But I think it’s clear that the attacks are not only intended to most impact those who have the ability to get pregnant, but will impact them the most, as well. In other words, the defunding of PP would certainly harm the rights of cis men. But they’re not so much being directly attacked because they and their reproductive capacity aren’t who are being targeted.

It’s an issue of semantics, really. But that’s basically what we’re discussing, anyway, when we’re talking about why I worded something the way I did. Because I wanted to highlight that those who can become pregnant are the ones under assault, without suggesting that all people who can become pregnant are women (or that all women can become pregnant). I think that’s an important thing to highlight.

9. Emerald says:

Is there anything going on in Seattle? Because I’d like to be there, and I know a bunch of people who would be right behind me.

10. Pingback: Pool Boy Magazine » Blog Archive » Walk For Choice Sat. Feb 26th!

11. Jess says:

Emerald: Is there anything going on in Seattle?

There’s a Walk 4 Choice on Saturday.
    These two Facebook pages should have more information:
    There’s a lobby in Oly next Monday: http://www.ppaction.org/site/Calendar?id=100283&view=Detail
    I think most of the rallies outside PPs happened yesterday, alas. But there’s Saturday! Someone at the PDX rally told me that they were going to have another rally on Friday afternoon, to counter our small handful of regular protesters. Maybe other places are thinking similarly?