Please spread the word and apply!
Feministe, one of the oldest and most widely-read feminist blogs, is seeking an intern to assist with posting feminist content, reaching out to writers, organizing our social media strategy, working with advertisers and managing our online community. We needs someone who can dedicate 3-6 hours per week (preferably two weekdays during set times), and can be available for a weekly in-person meeting (if in New York) or a weekly phone call with the Feministe editors (in addition to being available by email outside of meeting times). This is a paid internship; we anticipate that the internship will last 3-6 months, but the duration is negotiable.
Feministe is looking for someone who is well-versed in feminist theory, and who is knowledgeable about feminist blogging specifically. The ideal candidate would be an avid reader of feminist and social justice blogs, a strong writer and a passionate social justice activist. The candidate would also be willing to think creatively and outside of the box, and be able to work professionally with guest writers, advertisers and readers.
Responsibilities will include putting up two posts per week rounding up links and stories; monitoring blogs and online forums for stories to put in these link round-ups; checking the Feministe email box and responding to readers; working with advertisers to make sure the Feministe is appropriately monetized; managing Feministe’s social media presence; and completing other administrative tasks.
We’re specifically seeking an intern with the following qualifications:
* Outstanding writing skills
* Excellent administrative, organizational and communications skills
* Significant experience with various social networking platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, etc.)
* Proficient knowledge in blogging and online writing — must read blogs (and particularly feminist blogs) regularly
* Familiarity with online feminist communities and social media campaigns
* Blog writing and publishing experience (including basic knowledge in HTML)
* Online marketing skills, including online advertising and search engine optimization (SEO) a plus
* Must be able to dedicate 1.5 – 3 hours per day, two days per week, to the internship
* Must be able to work independently
* Must have consistent access to email and internet during internship hours
* Must be passionate about and committed to social justice issues
To apply, email email@example.com with a resume and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and your relationship with feminist blogs. We will be accepting applications through March 14th.