Feministe is looking for a good intern.

Please spread the word and apply!

Feministe, one of the oldest and most widely-read feminist blogs, is seeking an intern to assist with posting feminist content, reaching out to writers, organizing our social media strategy, working with advertisers and managing our online community. We needs someone who can dedicate 3-6 hours per week (preferably two weekdays during set times), and can be available for a weekly in-person meeting (if in New York) or a weekly phone call with the Feministe editors (in addition to being available by email outside of meeting times). This is a paid internship; we anticipate that the internship will last 3-6 months, but the duration is negotiable.

Feministe is looking for someone who is well-versed in feminist theory, and who is knowledgeable about feminist blogging specifically. The ideal candidate would be an avid reader of feminist and social justice blogs, a strong writer and a passionate social justice activist. The candidate would also be willing to think creatively and outside of the box, and be able to work professionally with guest writers, advertisers and readers.

Responsibilities will include putting up two posts per week rounding up links and stories; monitoring blogs and online forums for stories to put in these link round-ups; checking the Feministe email box and responding to readers; working with advertisers to make sure the Feministe is appropriately monetized; managing Feministe’s social media presence; and completing other administrative tasks.

We’re specifically seeking an intern with the following qualifications:

* Outstanding writing skills
* Excellent administrative, organizational and communications skills
* Significant experience with various social networking platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, etc.)
* Proficient knowledge in blogging and online writing — must read blogs (and particularly feminist blogs) regularly
* Familiarity with online feminist communities and social media campaigns
* Blog writing and publishing experience (including basic knowledge in HTML)
* Online marketing skills, including online advertising and search engine optimization (SEO) a plus
* Must be able to dedicate 1.5 – 3 hours per day, two days per week, to the internship
* Must be able to work independently
* Must have consistent access to email and internet during internship hours
* Must be passionate about and committed to social justice issues

To apply, email feministe@gmail.com with a resume and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and your relationship with feminist blogs. We will be accepting applications through March 14th.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Samantha
    Samantha March 3, 2011 at 10:04 am |

What a wonderful opportunity! Thanks for letting us know.

2. Valerie
    Valerie March 3, 2011 at 10:20 am |

Since this is a paid opportunity, is it restricted to residents/citizens of the USA?

3. Bushfire
    Bushfire March 3, 2011 at 11:32 am |

Wow, that’s exciting! What a great job.

4. Christe
    Christe March 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm |

I am a big fan of information transparency — as I know Feministe is, too.

How much money are you offering for all of these skills and weekday time commitment?

5. Eneya
    Eneya March 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

Oh, wow, that sounds awesome.
    Unfortunately I have no time or at least not enough to be able to do really good job, so I will miss this opportunity but it is quite awesome for the opportunity you guys are providing.
    I wish you the best and… I really hope I will be able to at least apply next time. :)

6. Cait
    Cait March 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm |

Are all levels of education welcome, or is there a minimum requirement ?

7. radsaq
    radsaq March 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

Need any programmers with poor writing skills? :D

8. Michelle Gebhart
    Michelle Gebhart March 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm |

This sounds incredible. I WANT IT!

9. junk
    junk March 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

Is this to start immediately?

10. kloncke
    kloncke March 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm |

Sweet! Will definitely apply. :) Even if I didn’t, though, I’m excited for regular links round-ups. Thanks in advance, future intern!

11. Michelle
    Michelle March 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

I don’t know if she’s interested, but the author (Ann Caperton Gillett, Birmingham, AL) of the following blog is everything you’re seeking…and more:

I hope she gets in touch with you! She’s a strong feminist, an amazing writer, and her blog doesn’t get nearly the readership it deserves.

12. z
    z March 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm |

What would be a good way to demonstrate knowledge of feminism? I don’t really have formal feminism-related credentials, but I do spend a lot of time reading feminist and related blogs and arguing with people online about this stuff, so I feel like I have a pretty good background in this, though my resume probably doesn’t show it.

13. jjuliaava
    jjuliaava March 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm |

Wow! This is a PAID position! This is my dream internship!
    My little two-cents: I would highly suggest hiring a single Mother for the job because I know from personal experience how difficult it is to afford daycare or to find employment that is not nights or weekends. This is such a great opportunity! Good luck to applicants!

14. Leigh
    Leigh March 4, 2011 at 2:25 am |

Does this internship involve relocating to the NYC area if you live elsewhere? Or would one be able to communicate via email, skype, and phone throughout the internship?

15. Maggie
    Maggie March 6, 2011 at 2:42 am |

What about PWDs who would prefer text over phone communication — is that possible?

16. Chally
    Chally March 6, 2011 at 3:45 am |

Definitely, Maggie.

17. Sho
    Sho March 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm |

This is an incredible opportunity. Can you tell me what the last date for applications is? And if you’re willing to take on interns who live in a vastly different time zone? (ie GMT +5.30 hours)

18. Sho
    Sho March 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |

Ok I’m blind, the end date is given there clearly. Apologies.

19. Kat
    Kat March 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm |

If I may ask, when should we expect to be notified of our intern acceptance/rejection?

20. Chally
    Chally March 23, 2011 at 2:42 am |

Kat, I’m sorry to say that it’s going to be a little while longer, simply because we have so many amazing applications (we still haven’t read all of them, and I for one have been sometimes working late into the night on it!). I’d expect a response sometime around the start of March.