Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Fingon Celebrindal
    Fingon Celebrindal March 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

“All of the influential young pundits in Washington D.C. are young and male,”

It should have been
    “All of the influential young pundits who matter in Washington D.C. are young and male,”

2. gretel
    gretel March 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm |

@Fingon Clebrindal: Unless they are engaged to one of the pundits, and then they matter for that–not for the fact that they have their own journalistic career and write for a major blog.

3. Comrade Kevin
    Comrade Kevin March 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm |

I have to say that I do not understand this degree of clubby sexism and exclusionary. But then again, there’s something thoroughly rotten about East Coast elitist attitudes, which are never based on merit. It doesn’t surprise me that the world of the DC insider has never really changed in all these years.

4. Comrade Kevin
    Comrade Kevin March 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

Exclusionary attitudes, rather.

5. Tony
    Tony March 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm |

I love this quote.

Mr. Klein is engaged to Annie Lowrey, a 26-year-old reporter for Slate. “They’ve grown up,” Ms. Lowrey said of her fiancé and his cohorts. “They’re not spring chickens anymore.”

No one else could have provided that little pearl of wisdom.

6. Alison
    Alison March 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm |

I’d love to see Melissa Harris-Perry get the spot – her writing in The Nation is basically always awesome and I’ve been pleased to see her on Maddow’s show more often, too. She’s smart and insightful, with a great wit to boost.

Lithwick or TNC would also be good choices, for sure. I’m reeeeeally hoping the Times doesn’t let us down, but….not holding my breath, sadly.

7. delagar
    delagar March 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm |

Ta-Nehisi Coates, yes. If he would do it? He’s working on a book now I think.

Every time I read him I swear I feel myself getting smarter.

As opposed to, say, David Brooks, or that Friedman guy, who every time I read them I get more and more ignorant.

8. DAS
    DAS March 29, 2011 at 8:18 am |

delagar:
    Ta-Nehisi Coates, yes.If he would do it? He’s working on a book now I think.

Every time I read him I swear I feel myself getting smarter.

In other words the NYT will not hire TNC. The NYT would rather complain about how they can’t get any money because nobody is willing to pay for anything anymore (“kids today with their intertubes and younets … they want everything to be free”) than actually hire smart people to write about things that matter in ways that make sense … and, you know, maybe actually have content worth paying for. Nope … can’t have that. What did you think? The purpose of a newspaper was actually to inform people?

9. ShawnaV
    ShawnaV March 29, 2011 at 9:23 am |

10. shrimplate
    shrimplate March 29, 2011 at 11:14 am |

Lindsay Beyerstein.

‘Nuff said.

11. Thomas MacAulay Millar
    Thomas MacAulay Millar March 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

Draft Lindsay. I’m totally on board with that.

12. Jim
    Jim March 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

“But there are lots of women and non-white people who have put in time and effort too, and who have hustled just as hard. ”

And some who don’t come out of the Ivy League puppy mill! But start with women and non-whites because that’s where the fight is – that’s what visible, that’s what will have the most impact. The non-Ivy League wave of diversity depends on the first.

TNC would considerably raise the tone at the NYT. But why does the world have to revolve around the NYT and all those East Coast sacred cows?

ShawnaV: I don’t read the NY times. But I do read ya’ll n Huffpo. Why not do a piece on the new class of lady/P.O.C. Journalists?

Amen!

13. Tim
    Tim March 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm |

How about Patricia Williams?

14. trevayne
    trevayne March 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

Hilzoy late of Obsidian Wings

15. Jane
    Jane March 31, 2011 at 6:36 am |

I wanted to send this to Jill in an email, but couldn’t figure out how to contact her. Maybe I am sensitive to societal notions that women of color are not really women, but I found this phrasing awkward:

“But there are lots of women and non-white people….”

Shouldn’t that read women and non-white men? Wouldn’t women include non-white women? I am sure it was not intentional, but this seems to imply women = white women, and women of color fall under “non-white people.” I think we need to do better.