Clarisse Thorn is a Chicago-based, feminist, sex-positive activist and educator. Personal blog at clarissethorn.com; follow her on Twitter @clarissethorn; you can also buy her awesome book about pickup artists or her awesome best-of collection, The S&M Feminist.

1. Tina
    Tina April 25, 2011 at 10:51 am |

I can’t be there but if someone would like to holler out a few new/great feminist fantasy authors that’d make me really happy :D Unfortunately its rather hard to find, but I had a great time with L. E. Moddesitt’s Shadow Sorceress/singer series, and pretty much all of Tamora Pierce is just hands-down awesome.

2. Mandolin
    Mandolin April 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

I’m always there.

Do you write SF/F or are you one of those unicorn-like readers we always hear about? ;-)

3. Verity Khat
    Verity Khat April 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

Oh man, I want to go! Being poor is really inconvenient. ;A;

@Tina: I like Jacqueline Carey. Some people shriek that she isn’t feminist just because her main character is a courtesan-spy, but I think that’s a bad analysis. Her characters are round, flawed, and make their own choices. The maxim of this alternate-European culture is “Love as thou wilt,” so there are all kinds of pairings. She deftly deals with the concepts of consent, desire, and love in all their weird complexities.

The first three books are awesome: Kushiel’s Dart, Kushiel’s Chosen, and Kushiel’s Avatar. I dare you not to love Phedre and Joscelin. The first book of the next arc, Kushiel’s Scion, kind of sucks (just doesn’t live up). But the next two, Kushiel’s Justice and Kushiel’s Mercy, make up for it. :)

4. Verity Khat
    Verity Khat April 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

(And I’ve met Jacqueline and she’s WONDERFUL and definitely feminist. It was so hard to act like a human being instead of dissolving into a slavering fangirl.)

5. Mandolin
    Mandolin April 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

My novella that’s up for the Hugo and the Nebula this year:

The Lady Who Plucked Red Flowers Beneath the Queen’s Window

Among other things, it ends up as a feminist exploration of anthropology and sociobiology.

I also had a novelette up for the Nebula last year, “A Memory of Wind” which is a retelling of the beginning of the Trojan war from Iphigenia’s perspective.

And last year’s novelette, “Eros, Philia, Agape,” an exploration of ownership and the body, was nominated for the Hugo, the Sturgeon and the Locus Award, came in second for the Million Writers Award, and was recommended by this year’s Tiptree committee.

I also should point out Barry Deutsch’s (Ampersand’s) Norton and Eisener-nominated feminist fantasy graphic novel, “Hereville,” and N. K. Jemisin’s (nojojojo’s) brilliant Nebula and Hugo nominated “The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms” and its sequel “Broken Kingdoms.

6. Mandolin
    Mandolin April 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

My comment with links to my work is in mod (too many links, presumably), but I’ll add that Felicity Shoulders reads here and is also nominated for this year’s Nebula award. “Conditional Love” is a near-future contemplation of genetic engineering.

Hope I’m not stealing your thunder, Felicity, I just thought I’d brag on you so you wouldn’t have to feel embarrassed bragging on yourself. Cuz you’re awesome. ;-)

7. DP
    DP April 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

Curious if anyone has read/reflected on Robert Jordan’s series – I ask not because he’s a great feminist fantasy writer but because he sort of attempts at a kind of feminism in his books – lots of heroines, probably passes the Bechdel test, strong matriarchal elements – but also fails abjectly a lot of the time.

There’s some frankly ridiculous sex wish-fulfillment in there, alongside gender essentialism, etc.

But he does seem to have been trying for a more nuanced portrait of women in fantasy than most men; ironic, considering he wrote Conan for a while.

My favorite lady who writes fantasy is probably Madeleine L’Engele or Anne McCaffery; it’s been a while since I read new fantasy.

8. Odin
    Odin April 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm |

@ Tina (and anyone else looking for new authors)–

Give Sherwood Smith a try. The Inda quartet is set in a fantasy world where magic makes fertility opt-in, and same-sex couples can have biological children together.

9. Verity Khat
    Verity Khat April 26, 2011 at 12:24 am |

For those who like urban fantasy / supernatural fiction, Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series is great and usually feminist/inclusionary; the occasional problematic moment does crop up and make you roll your eyes.

@Clarisse Thorn: Pfft, I’m personally not a BDSM-type person and even I can see some issues with Carey’s portrayals, so, yeah. Caveat there, folks. >_<

10. Shaun
    Shaun April 26, 2011 at 12:27 am |

The Wheel of Time was my first adult fantasy series so I have a soft spot for it despite its flaws. There are definitely some admirable women in it I grew up wanting to be like but since I became conscious of institutionalized sexism and gender essentialism I really wish he would have taken even a single Women’s Studies course before writing a world essentially set in a matriarchy. I guess it’s open for a feminist critique but personally I find enough flaws with how it’s devised in this setting its generally easier for me to start from scratch if I want to imagine a fictional matriarchy (or any other wildly variant gendered world).

Plus, sci-fi has been writing that sort of thing for years, light-years ahead of traditional fantasy novels (YMMV).

11. bluelotus
    bluelotus April 26, 2011 at 1:05 am |

I also want to put in a plug for my new favorite author, Catherynne Valente, who will also be at WisCon. She deals a lot with fairytales and mythology, and writes about them through a feminist lens –among other things. I just finished her most recent book, Deathless, which deals with Russian folklore, in (partially) 20th-century Russia. It also has some interesting BDSM power dynamics (for those who were interested in the Kushiel series for that reason, I’m not well versed enough to know if there are similar problems in Deathless, but I personally thought it was very well done).

I also really recommend Valente’s The Orphan’s Tales…I read it about a month ago and still keep thinking about it. It has two volumes, In the Night Garden and In the Cities of Coin and Spice.

12. ellid
    ellid April 26, 2011 at 6:23 am |

Anne McCaffrey is problematic for me because a) she’s a homophobe who believes that anal penetration will “turn a straight man gay” and b) there’s a lot of “he raped me but I liked it” in her books. I can’t read her any more because of this.

However, there are a lot of good feminist SF and fantasy writers out there, both male and female. Here are some of the women:

Jane Yolen, Cathrynne Valente, NK Jemisin, Nisi Shawl (Wiscon’s GoH), Tamora Pierce, Tanya Huff, Lynn Flewelling, Jacqueline Carey, Elizabeth Lynn, Vonda McIntyre, Mary Robinette Kowal, Ursula K. LeGuin, Pamela Sargent, Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman, Connie Willis, Elizabeth Lynn. There are also a lot of male allies/feminists, like Neil Gaiman and John Scalzi.

Finally, there’s James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice Sheldon), the late, great SF writer. Wiscon raises money for an award in her name via a bake sale every year.

13. Doctress Julia
    Doctress Julia April 26, 2011 at 5:32 pm |

I want to go! I think I’m going. It would be my first convention EVER. I can cosplay as Battle Angel Alita, right? :3

14. katie
    katie April 26, 2011 at 8:42 pm |

I mostly lurk here, but I will be at WisCon. It’s my first convention ever!

15. Jon
    Jon April 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

I’m a lurker like katie, see y’all at Con!

16. Jennie
    Jennie April 27, 2011 at 9:44 pm |

I’m a lurker, but I’ve been going to Wiscon for more than 10 yrs (since I was a wee little thing). For those who are planning to go, I recommend volunteering in one way or another – you get a discount on your price, plus you meet a lot of people who are very inclined to think highly of you. Check out the website at wiscon.info for more info, and you can also check out the lj community wiscon.livejournal.com for other interesting stuff (and to ask any questions)

17. jennygadget
    jennygadget May 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm |

ellid,

Have you read A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear? It’s pretty much a response to all that nonsense, as well as some deconstruction of the idea that the emotional work done by Lissa and – her type of character – is natural and effortless.