Clarisse Thorn is a Chicago-based, feminist, sex-positive activist and educator. Personal blog at clarissethorn.com; follow her on Twitter @clarissethorn; you can also buy her awesome book about pickup artists or her awesome best-of collection, The S&M Feminist.

1. LC
    LC May 31, 2011 at 8:46 am |

Congrats Rachel!

Now I want to read some Tiptree.

I first encountered her in a collection that had obviously been reprinted right after she revealed herself. It is amazing in that it has the original forward by another author – I forget which – explaining in clear terms why despite some of the rumors, Tiptree was clearly not a woman. It was simply impossible. He was clearly just a recluse, not comfortable in the spotlight. Just after this was a one page second forward in which said author sheepishly admitted he had been wrong about that, hadn’t he, and it shows you how good a writer Tiptree is. Something of a non-apology apology.

I wish Galacticon was closer… I’d like to start going to conventions again, and Wiscon and this sound like they would be the most interest to me.

2. Filth
    Filth May 31, 2011 at 10:45 am |

Beautiful story.

3. LC
    LC May 31, 2011 at 11:00 am |

I really need to find it again to verify who it was. I might still have it buried in a box at my parents’ place. (Many things went into storage when I went down to Boston/Camberville and I haven’t reclaimed them since coming back.)

My gut tells me it was “Warm Worlds and Otherwise”? (At work and probably shouldn’t be randomly googling for it right now.)

4. LC
    LC May 31, 2011 at 11:04 am |

Depending on Moderation, this may be out of order.

It was this one, and it was Robert Silverberg.

5. upyernoz
    upyernoz May 31, 2011 at 11:20 am |

i wasn’t able to make it to wiscon this year, but i’m really curious to find out if anything came of the elizabeth moon controversy.

(a quick background: moon was originally supposed to be one of the guests of honor, then she posted some stuff about muslims on her blog last fall, which generated a big controversy, wiscon resisted calls to uninvite her as GoH, which caused more controversy and ultimately moon withdrew her guest of honorship)

6. LC
    LC May 31, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

Oh yes, that was this year.

I should poke some of my friends who did make it about it.

7. shah8
    shah8 May 31, 2011 at 12:34 pm |

I suppose I should mention that The Angry Black Woman blog has had some fairly cool people writing stuff in it, including Alaya Dawn Johnson (while I didn’t care for her YA, thought that Moonshine was one of the better paranormal romances) and NK Jemison, who I believe needs no introduction.

8. wealhtheow
    wealhtheow May 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm |

Hey upernoz–It took about a month for the Motherboard and SF3 (the umbrella org under which Wiscon legally falls, iirc) to meet and decide on how to handle the Moon issue. When they did meet, they chose to disinvite her as Guest of Honor (although she was still, of course, welcome to attend the con as a private citizen). SF3’s statement to that effect is here. (They got a lot of flack for disinviting her; the comments sections of the announcements are vicious.) Additionally, the con created a values statement (so that in the future, if a Guest of Honor went so against the principles of a feminist con, the con would have an easily pointed-to method of handling the issue) and created the Daisy Khan fund (earmarked to assist members of Muslim and Arab backgrounds in attending Wiscon). I’m not speaking for Wiscon or its parent orgs–I just love the con and have attended for years because I find the discussions I have there to be so valuable and energizing. LC, I went to the last two Think Galacticons, and I loved them as well! I hope you can make it some year!

9. Julian
    Julian June 1, 2011 at 1:26 am |

clarification regarding Elizabeth Moon – after pressure from its members, Wiscon ultimately withdrew Moon’s invitation as Guest of Honor. Moon did *not* withdraw herself.

10. LC
    LC June 1, 2011 at 8:46 am |

wealhtheow – thanks for the update. Yeah, the economic crash did some bad things to my travel. I am only just recovering, and honestly, I fell out of reading fiction for a while, too. Still, my friends Shira and Julia LOVE WisCon, so I keep saying I till try to go.

11. upyernoz
    upyernoz June 1, 2011 at 11:03 am |

yeah, thanks for the clarification. i had to suddenly leave the country at the end of october, so that must have been how i missed the withdrawn invitation.

but i’m still curious whether the controversy came up much at the con this year. i used to go every year, but i haven’t been able to make it since 2009.

12. Mandolin
    Mandolin June 1, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

I didn’t hear about it except for people talking about PR effects.

13. Born This Way: Links « Kay Steiger