Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. kim
    kim June 22, 2011 at 9:09 am |

Excellent Post. As a college professor at a small school in CO, I am confronted with similar situations for my students. I am so so glad to see someone giving voice to this issue in an intelligent, passionate, realistic manner.

2. auditorydamage
    auditorydamage June 22, 2011 at 9:22 am |

Incredible story.

No one is illegal.

3. Natalia
    Natalia June 22, 2011 at 9:35 am |

Jesus Christ.

So someone is brought to the country *as a kid*, not even *knowing* that anything illegal was going on, and they still have to accept a 10-year BAN to reapply for legal status? God bless America!

4. Anon21
    Anon21 June 22, 2011 at 11:13 am |

Very brave thing to do, “coming out” like this. I think he admits to several federal crimes in that article, though, so I am wondering if he’ll be arrested. Your move, DHS–the nation (at least the NYT-reading portion of the nation) is watching.

5. Emily
    Emily June 22, 2011 at 11:21 am |

Thank you for the link; I’m glad I read that. Our immigration law has become way too harsh, from legal residents getting deported for shoplifting to the ridiculously long waits to legally sponsor family members, to the 10 year ban. It’s my understanding that if his grandparents had managed to get him a tourist visa to visit them, and he came on that rather than with false documents he would not be subject to the 10 year ban but could apply for adjustment of status. Does that make any sense? And under current law it wouldn’t matter if he married a citizen – he’d still be subject to the 10 year ban.

6. GinnyC
    GinnyC June 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm |

This really is a fantastic article! I hope Jose Antonio Vargas is able to change some minds with it. I’m not sure that it will do anything to help his own status, but maybe some more people will realize why the Dream Act and other immigration reform are absolutely necessary. Also, being gay should never be an obstacle to becoming a U.S. citizen, but unfortunately it still very much is.

7. Jennifer
    Jennifer June 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm |

I hope he doesn’t go to jail/get deported for this, but fear he will. I guess he wanted to trash his life to live honesty/make a point, but I don’t think I’d have that kind of nerve and willingness to face all of the awful consequences of doing that myself.

8. Kristen J.
    Kristen J. June 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

Cried. Lots. Also vomited at some of the comments that are accompanying the coverage.

9. David
    David June 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm |

I really hope everything turns out alright for him. Judging from his story, he’s gone through mountains of shit (and worked harder) than most of us natural born U.S. citizens ever will.

10. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe June 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm |

I will never believe that anything can be accomplished–any result that could remotely be called good or beneficial to anyone–by picking up an honest, hard-working individual and hurling him back to the Philippines or Mexico or wherever he or she happened to come from however many years ago. I don’t care if this person is a dishwasher or a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist.