Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Valerie
    Valerie July 14, 2011 at 11:04 am |

I can’t attend because I’m not in the area, but I want to play anyways, so I’m going to throw the number 8000 out there.

2. gretel
    gretel July 14, 2011 at 11:23 am |

So what’s the answer! I’m curious.

3. anna
    anna July 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

Twice as many as the penis, if I recall correctly. And yet, because of lack of clitoral stimulation, women are much less likely to have orgasms during sexual intercourse (as opposed to, say, receiving oral sex) than men are, so since heterosexual sex is often defined as sexual intercourse and considered over once the guy gets off, a lot of women are needlessly deprived of sexual pleasure. Which is sexist bullshit. Time to repost The Myth of the Vaginal Orgasm: http://www.uic.edu/orgs/cwluherstory/CWLUArchive/vaginalmyth.html

4. Emolee
    Emolee July 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

I love that the clitoris has no other function than sexual pleasure.

5. PrettyAmiable
    PrettyAmiable July 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm |

YES. First feminist event I can attend now that I live in New Yooooork, concrete jungle something something. There’s nothing I can’t do, evidently.

6. roro80
    roro80 July 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm |

Yay the clitoris!

But anna: That said, the idea that the vaginal orgasm is a myth is…well, it’s not. Just isn’t. Not being able to achieve a vaginal orgasm should aboslutely not be a sign of “frigidity” or anything wrong in any way with that woman, but to try to define the experiences that others have had and do have isn’t really a good idea, in my opinion.

7. roro80
    roro80 July 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm |

Also — the event looks faboo! Long way from San Francisco though. :(

8. Shaun
    Shaun July 15, 2011 at 4:56 am |

anna:

*shuffles in*

But not as many as the foreskin’s 10-20,000, according to google.

(No no, numbers can’t possibly start an unreasonable debate).

9. anna
    anna July 15, 2011 at 7:13 am |

“That said, the idea that the vaginal orgasm is a myth is…well, it’s not. Just isn’t. Not being able to achieve a vaginal orgasm should aboslutely not be a sign of “frigidity” or anything wrong in any way with that woman, but to try to define the experiences that others have had and do have isn’t really a good idea, in my opinion.”

Learn something every day. Well, I did not know that, and I didn’t mean to discount any else’s experience. But the rest of my comment still stands.

“But not as many as the foreskin’s 10-20,000, according to google.

(No no, numbers can’t possibly start an unreasonable debate).”

You know, it’s not really good to just imply someone is probably going to be unreasonable.

Anyway, that’s all very well, but it’s still no excuse for the sadly common attitude that it’s just way too difficult for women to have orgasms and they shouldn’t expect them. The average woman has one every single time she masturbates, after all. Sex could have the same average, if people are willing to get a little creative and not make it all about the penis thrusting.

10. Shaun
    Shaun July 15, 2011 at 10:46 am |

I actually didn’t mean you specifically, I’ve just noticed there are some topics that can’t be brought up on Feministe without risking giant drama.

I agree, though, which is sort of why I don’t think the numbers are a huge point. It wouldn’t matter if cis women had 1/12 the nerve endings of cis men, it still doesn’t make the non-orgasming anymore acceptable, culturally.

11. E.L.
    E.L. July 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm |

Shaun:

12. Shaun
    Shaun July 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

E.L.: I can’t imagine why issues of consent, sexual autonomy, or body policing might be a touchy subject on a feminist blog, either. /wellmeaningsnark

I can’t either, I would imagine we would all be in agreement on them.

13. E.L.
    E.L. July 17, 2011 at 4:12 am |

I think that’s why it’s so touchy. We assume it falls into a pretty natural position, and then a lot of people vehemently disagree with something so fundamental and, well, “dramatic” responses to opinions that seem oppressive, abusive, and evil are pretty part and parcel for a group that cares about these issues.