1. Comrade Kevin
    Comrade Kevin August 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm |

I think we’ve all been conditioned to see fault within ourselves. This is more true with women than men, in my opinion, but in a consumer society, we’re taught to believe that something is wrong with us. Once we take that into account, we then should buy something to ensure that nothing is wrong with us. And that contentment lasts for a little while until the same ploy is used again.

2. Andie
    Andie August 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm |

I love this, and I especially love that out of all your ‘stuff’ only one of them was related to the physical. It’s great to love your physical self, but too often when asked to list their positive traits, women tend towards the ‘well, I have nice eyes’ type of thing. I want to write a post like this now.

3. Doctress Julia
    Doctress Julia August 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm |

I am thinking you are more awesome every moment.

And yeah, sodium lauryl sulfate: the solvent used to clean garage floors. Hella toxic, and YUCK. I like Avalon Organics myself… :)

4. Véronique
    Véronique August 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm |

I love your list! You’re totally right about #1. My partner and I are totallly different body types. Some things work for her, some for me. We don’t try to change anything.

And #3 is especially awesome. And especially important!

5. Kathy
    Kathy August 3, 2011 at 4:56 pm |

I like this a lot, especially points two and three. As someone who doesn’t have children — or, really, children in her life at all — I don’t think of myself as having much of influence, but I’ve been able to carve out a small piece of the internet to promote music made by women, or talk about the sexism that permeates pop culture. Maybe it’s a small contribution, but it’s my small contribution.

6. Camilla Peffer @ Girls Are Made From Pepsi

I love a happy feminist post. This set the tone for my day perfectly! And woah! Your kids are so awesome!
    In regards to #2, I think it’s imperative that feminism works alongside other activist issues, such as homophobia and racism. I think it would be appropriate to bellow All For One and One For All here, right?

7. Jadey
    Jadey August 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm |

Thank you for this follow-up. :) I was just thinking today how very much I love my feet, my hairy, calloused, scabby, crinkly, strong feet, for all that they represent to me my freedom and self-sufficiency. They might not be everyone’s idea of lovely, but they’re mine.

8. James
    James August 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm |

When I was in college an “education” teacher asked everyone in the class to name the sexiest part of the opposite sex. After 20 “ass” “boobs” “ass”es, I said cheek bones.

I should have said Belly Scars.

9. Feminist Activism: Being Proud of Yourself! «

[…] at Feministe, there’s a post up about the importance of praising yourself and being proud of the things you like about yourself and […]

10. SWNC
    SWNC August 5, 2011 at 11:04 am |

Emily, I love this post. So often as women and mothers and (Comrade Kevin points out) consumers, we’re taught to think about ways that we fail or don’t measure up to some mark. While none of us are perfect, it’s wonderful to hear women say, “This is something I’m good at. This is something I am proud of it.” In the spirit of things,
    1) I am tenacious. Bulldog-style. Because I am tenacious, I have been able to do all kinds of things from the mundane (home repairs: “Oh, no, you motherf*ckin pipes, you will not defeat me.”) to the awesome (climbing Angel’s Landing in Zion Nat’l Park while 3 months pregnant).
    2) I am good at feeding people. Few things bring me more pleasure.
    3) I have a fabulous (big) butt.

11. Jackie
    Jackie August 5, 2011 at 9:42 pm |

About #1. I can relate, I bought a shirt from Hot Topic, then when I went home to try it on it didn’t fit at all. It was designed to be really body hugging, and I felt myself feeling that same sense of insecurity I had in high school when I would buy something that didn’t fit. So I decided, I will not go back there, I’ll return the shirt and I’ll get over it eventually.

Later on I was joking, since it was an Adventure Time shirt with the Lumpy Space Princess on it, that maybe it was designed to make the wearer appear as a Lumpy Space citizen.