1. Diana
    Diana August 31, 2011 at 11:04 pm |

(for reference I am a cis woman) I loved seeing the fluidity of Anthony’s gender performance (at least in terms of clothing). That and Isis King’s achievements both during and after her transition give me hope that we, as a society, can begin to understand how genderqueer and trans individuals differ. Maybe that’s a bad way to phrase it. Maybe it would be better to say it gives me hope that we, as a society, can begin to understand that genderqueer and trans individuals can differ. I get so angry when people ask why can’t trans people simply break gender norms (without “disfiguring their bodies”) or why a person would transition only to continue to date people they “were allowed” to date before. Gender and sexual orientation are complex (mind bogglingly so sometimes). At the end of the day, we must define these things for ourselves and then make choices accordingly.

2. cheshire
    cheshire September 1, 2011 at 3:45 am |

I love project runway, but I am uncomfortable with anthony being classed as trans, unless he has changed his position post show (in which case change pronouns and ignore what I am saying) he was very clear that he was a cis male, a very femme cross dressing guy, but he does say at one point say “some people get confused, I am a guy”

I think it is important to say, as well as noting that not all trans women are femme, that no all maab femmes are trans, to recognize that gender is internally definied, that anthony isn’t trans because he likes dresses, and that a trans women isn’t less female because she prefers loose cargo pants over a little black dress.

3. Jenna
    Jenna September 1, 2011 at 7:22 am |

That dress is gorgeous. I would wear that, if I weren’t afraid of tripping over the long hem. High fashion is not designed for someone who is 5’3″.

4. Brigid
    Brigid September 1, 2011 at 8:39 am |

I think *I* have a new dream, which is to see you making fun of George Will every Sunday as This Week With Christiane Amapour‘s permanent trans correspondent. Do keep us posted on developments, won’t you?

5. ginasf
    ginasf September 1, 2011 at 9:26 am |

A correction: Dr. Marci Bowers donated the SRS surgery to Isis, Tyra did not pay for it. Considering the amount of publicity ANTM and the Tyra Show got from Isis (aka income), that’s the least they could do.

6. Diana
    Diana September 1, 2011 at 9:41 am |

Cheshire,

The author wasn’t saying that Anthony is trans, just that his gender fluidity (in terms of clothing) made the world a better place (I quoted the relevant part below).

“Anthony’s kinda fabulous, in every way, I think. I won’t claim him as one of my peeps–not mine to say is actually one of the foundational statements of my movement, don’t you know–but I think my world is just a bit better knowing he exists.”

7. Sara
    Sara September 1, 2011 at 11:46 am |

Saying “her surgery” or “the surgery” while assuming that the reader will know intuitively what kind of surgery you’re talking about bolsters the idea that genital reconstruction is the single surgical procedure that is intrinsically associated with being trans (framing it as an essential, presumptive component of trans-ness).

I fully acknowledge that this linguistic issue is pretty minor and that not all trans people feel the way I feel about it, but I just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

8. cheshire